Sign in to follow this  
northridge

Runtime dll required creates FS9 warning

Loading a flightplan for the first time I got 'Runtime error 713 - needs MSSTDFMT.DLL'. Looking here I found a post about it: the user downloaded the missing dll and no further mention was made.I downloaded it and installed it into the FS9 modules folder, and when I started FS9 was told that it was an incorrect or potentially harmfull file, and did I want to load it?Is this normal?Where in the Manual does it say that I need this dll?Should my FS9 have had this file anyway?What should I do?

Guest RickT

Where did you get the file? MSSTDFMT.DLL does not go in the Flight Simulator directory. It goes in Windowssystem32. That is why you got the Flight Sim error.I recommend you delete that file and do the following.Go here: http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/suppo...me=MSSTDFMT.DLL download and install the libraryfiles.exe program.Next:Open a DOS box (Start|All ProgramsAccessoriesCommand Prompt)At the prompt type the following:Cd windowssystem32 (press the enter key)The prompt will change to this:C:WINDOWSsystem32>Type the following:regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll (press the enter key)Please note any error messages.The problem is that file msstdfmt.dll is not registered with Windows. The above commands I gave you registered it.Radar Contact should run as avertised now.

Thank your for your quick reply.Two interesting things here: - On the reboot immediately following the installation of RC4 I got a Windows message telling me that some Windows files had been changed and that this might cause instability, and that I should use the XP Home Edition SP1 CD to restore them. As I am using XP with SP2 included my only option was to take the risk and ignore the messages. - If I follow your instructions you say "Radar Contact should run as advertised". "Should"? Not "will"? "Will" would be more likely to put my mind at rest concerning the safe running of my pc and the money I spent purchasing your software.Has Radar Contact altered core Windows files on my system?Does everbody who installs Radar Contact have the same problem with this .dll? If it is a known issue - even for a few users - wouldn't it be correct for you to include a warning about this in the setup instructions?I will follow your instructions and hopefully all will be well.

Guest RickT

I do not remember anyone reporting getting a message that some Windows files had been changed after RC installation. All RC is doing is registering the files it needs with Windows. It did not alter any system files. If it can't find the file it needs on your system you will get an error and RC won't run. The instructions I gave you will register the problem file with Windows. Let us know if you have any more concerns.

Guest ianhind

That DLL is a Microsoft one that gets installed with some Microsoft software. On 2 PCs here running XP, one has the file and the other does not - the main difference being that Office is installed on the one where the DLL is, so perhaps that is where it comes from.Since it seems that most people have this DLL already, the testing of RC4 evidently did not pick up that occasionally it is missing. But the need to download missing DLLs happens with Windows.And sometimes even if the file is on the hard disk, Windows loses track of it, and it has to be told again - that is was Regsvr32 does.Ian

Thank you both for helping to clear this up. However, I think that the missing .dll may be part of a larger problem, as a previously stable program (not RC4) now cannot start (even after a re-install): and, I did get that message saying that incorrect system files were present. This is one of the reasons that I don't like to have a net connection on this machine, but unfortunately it's now unavoidable due to the amount of payware that needs to be validated.It would seem that during the 30 minutes or so spent connected to re-install scenery and aircraft something slipped past McAfee - and this install is less that 4 days old - so it looks like I'm going to have to do it all again! Does anyone have any positive experience with the 'Repair' function booting up with the XP cd?