Sign in to follow this  
Guest airmeki

multiplayer vs. RC

Guest airmeki

Hi there - I am not sure whom I shold direct this question to, so here it is:My friend and myself enjoy flying using the Multiplayer feature of MSFS. To be correct, we actually use FSNet (aka 'Copilot') by Gates.Both of us, when flying solo, enjoy RC and definately don't want to fly without it anymore. So, once hooked up in a multiplayer session Radar Contact doesn't seem to get syncronized, therefore RC "sees" us as two seperate planes. Is there a way to include RC in a FSNet session? Is there a way to combine these two products? Right now, the only thing we can do is that one (usually the pilot non flying) is running RC and repeats the RC transmissions to the pilot flying. It would be just wonderful if the pilot could hear them too ...ThanksHeinz

if both of you are flying, and rc running on both your machines, then you will both be getting superb atc.but i don't think that his plane shows up as an ai plane for you, and vice versa. so that might be a problem.the idea of having rc running on a networked computer, controlling multiple fs sessions is intriguing, but i'm not sure if it is possible, or if many people would ever use it, in multiplayer mode. i could be wrong. i'll ponder itjd

Guest Dave Logan

I am the other guy Heinz was refering to... a long time RC user. If you haven't tried it before FSnet is an amazing experience http://www.gates.to/index.php. Basically you run a module in FS that allows two people running FS to connect over a server as pilot and copilot so you both see the same flightdeck and can change frequencies, flaps, gear, etc. just like a pilot and copilot would in real life. FSnet is shareware and is quite reasonably priced for what you get in the experience. The main downside with FSnet is it only works with default aircraft or aircraft that use standard panels. Most advanced addon aircraft with custom designed gauges don't work with FSnet.We have been able to run RC separately in our FSnet sessions and either leave the voice communication open so we can hear the voice messages from RC on the other's computer or just have the copilot running RC relay the messages. The main obstacle to running RC on two separate computers in a multiplayer environment such as FSnet is the squawk code. If there was a way to either detect the squawk being used by the other computer via fsuipc or disable the squawk on one of the computers running RC then I think it would work perfectly. As it is if you don't set your squawk correctly then ATC constantly asks you to once airbourne. FSnet offers a SDK for developers to design addon aircraft to be compatible with it. Maybe this would be helpful to implement an FSnet mode for RC.I think it would be an additional selling point for RC among the simmers who have become addicted to FSnet. You never know what will be coming with FSX. We are hopeing for something like FSnet.Best Regards,Dave Logan