Sign in to follow this  
Guest KemoF15

AI Traffic Jams

Guest KemoF15

I've read the previous issue of AI traffic freezing because AI chatter was not selected in the menu (and I do have it selected) but I tend to see a mad rush for departure runway when I beam into FS9/RC4 for a flight. I departed KDCA this evening, Heathrow the other day and noticed a pretty massive traffic queue awaiting departure--yes much more than real world backups. Some of the AI traffic disappears after several minutes of not moving. I've been in a situation sitting number one on the hold line facing an aircraft on the opposing taxi hold line and tower not making the call to clear either one of us for takeoff.Additionally, I was expecting to see less go arounds with RC4 but perhaps that only applies to ones own aircraft and not AI...again this evening awaiting departure on RWY1 at KDCA alone with 7 or 8 others, AI traffic on final to the same runway were flying in a 4 ship string with less than 1 mile separation, consequently only 1 of the 4 landed with the rest going around. And, I didn't hear either the tower or the AI pilot declare missed or go around on the tower freq.I use Ultimate Traffic and select Refresh AI on Active Sky...also didn't select refresh option and got the same lengthy queing and sequencing. I've got traffic density set to 100% in FS9--perhaps set less? Consensus?CheersKemoF15

when you start the sim, all the departing ai start trying to depart at the same time. it's not really a function of rc. if rc wasn't running, you would still see the mad dash to the active.i also use UT, at 100% and it's just something that happens. you can change the time of day, maybe you will get less departures. if it's a real problem, dial back the ai traffic. but me and most of the beta testers run 100% all the timethe ai still go around. i'm not controlling them either. ####, i've seen ai landing one on top of the other (sort of like the shuttle on it's airplane carrier). i've seen ai landing at 6 feet agl.you should have fewer go arounds. if you haven't used previous versions of rc, you wouldn't know how frustrating it was to have ai taxiing out in front of you on final. in v4 i fixed most of those problemsjd

Guest KemoF15

Thanks JD/John...will give it a shot.KemoF15

I've found that for airports like KDCA, which really shows the flaws in the AI handling by FS, that setting the traffic level to around 90% really helps (using Ultimate Traffic). I also usually take about 10-15 minutes going through my checklists, etc. before leaving the gate. That time also helps the AI traffic sort itself out a bit. I will still have to wait for takeoff, but the conga line is usually about 4 deep instead of 12. As soon as I am off and out of the pattern I reset the traffic to 100%. Prior to RC4 I had to reset the traffic back down on approach also, but now RC keeps everyone out of my way. the only place I've found that needs to be scaled back continuously is KORD; not surprisingly. Mike

Guest KemoF15

Copy...thanks Mike.

>> I departed KDCA this evening, Heathrow the other day and noticed a pretty massive traffic queue awaiting departure--yes much more than real world backups. <

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Guest abulaafia

Use RC4 AND AI Smooth at the same time, that should solve your problems. In AI Smooth, disable "Show ATC Text". cheers