Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

Taxi instructions

I notice that when ATC give taxi clearance, either to or from the active, they do not give a routing or, in the case of arriving, a gate number - all I've had is "taxi to the ramp". This does not seem right to me. Surely ground want to ensure that you don't go where you're not wanted!The only reason I can think of for this is that RC can be used with earlier versions of FS that did no have taxiways or gates identified.Iain

backward compatibility, and i don't know where the taxiways, and haven't worked on ground operations. maybe in the futurejd

I found a way round this by switching off RC4 at the end of the flight and reverting to FS9 ATC.You'll get your gate assignment then.

>I found a way round this by switching off RC4 at the end of>the flight and reverting to FS9 ATC.You'll get your gate>assignment then.Chris, interesting idea but I've got FS9 ATC turned off in the sound options. This was the only way I could stop hearing FS9 ATC as well as RC. Have you done this? If so it means going into the menu to switch it on which seems a tad cumbersome and could interrupt the flow. I'd be interested in your comments.:-) Iain

Hi IainMadly trying to remember the answer!!I think what I did was to send the message in the main FS screen then just enable progressive taxi and follow the lines!Like you I find it too much of a mess to keep turning the volume up and down so the above seems to work.Or sometimes I just park it any old place that seems to be free!!

Hi Chris, I see what you mean. You've just turned the volume down for FS9 ATC whereas I have turned it off by unchecking the box next to the volume slider. Your method will work because FS ATC will still be working and keeping in step and you can get progressive taxi. Good thinking & thanks!Iain

You are welcome Iain.Wish I could get rid of the green stripe though.Any ideas on that?

>You are welcome Iain.>>Wish I could get rid of the green stripe though.Any ideas on>that?Hi Chris. In the RC general options there is "display text" which you should uncheck if it is ticked. Then if you right click on the green stripe you have an option "close this window". I think that will do it.:-) IainP.S. Tried your sugestion tonight when arriving at Memphis and got the progressive taxi strip to the gate!

Guest cirurgiao

Hi, you bothInteresting topic you had discussed. I too had trouble to deal with RC's "...to the ramp". I know that RC gives us the opportunity to choose a gate at an arrival airport, but if you don't know which one it's very tough to go by oneself.I'll try keeping FS9'atc open but with its text unchecked and its volume off.If I had it wrong this way please warn me.ThanksEduardo

Hi everyone,The alternative to turning the atc sound down in FS is to select COM2 on the radio panel.If you do that RC continues to use the com1 frequency but FS atc uses the com2 frequency.So once you land and RC has given you 'taxi to the ramp' just contact FS atc in the normal way and get your taxi instructions if you want them.A similar thing can be done at the departure airport but it is slightly more complicated to get it working, particularly in what FS regards as IFR conditions.All the best,John

That sounds a better method than mine John.I always did look for the difficult way to do things.

Guest cirurgiao

Hi, JohnIf I choose COM2 (which implies that I would leave COM2 turned on & COM1 turned off - Am I right?) RC would work just the same? I wouldn't need to uncheck FS9's atc text AND volume at Settings? Because this is what I did. If I'm wrong please show me the way.thanksEduardo

Hi Eduardo,RC always uses the Com1 frequency whatever the com1/com2 settings on the radio panel are so, yes, RC works as normal and there is no need to turn off the FS atc.You will find, however, that you may hear some FS atc if com2 happens to be tuned to an active frequency. You can always retune it.Using the com2 method is only really an advantage if you want to make some use of FS atc at some point in your flight.All the best,John

Guest cirurgiao

John, just to make things clearer to me:1) RC uses COM1 either FS's atc are tunned on or off (ATC text checked or unchecked)and either I have COM1 on or off.2) If I uses COM2 on (with COM1 off) without unckecking ATC text, I won't have ATC working because it works only with COM1 on. Better still it will work in the background until I tune COM1 on, when I'll have access to FS's own ATC if I should quit RC.An example:I fly a Seattle-Portland forgetting to put the gates at departing and arriving airports. Everything works according my flight planner and I exit the rwy. This is when RC tells me to taxi to the ramp and Flight critique / Quit RC options appear. If I tune on COM1 will have I access to FS9's own ATC as I had the flight following its instructions?Because the only thing that I want from FS9's ATC is in this specific situation, because RC doesn't cover this phase, except if I put the arriving gate at RC options.I hope that you understand what I'm trying to say. If its confusing please put in some questions.ThanksEduardo

Hi Eduardo.In the example you leave the FSATC on and select Com2 on the radio panel at the start of your flight.RC will still use the com1 radio FSATC uses the com2 radio.Once you want the taxi instructions from FSATC just contact them in the normal way (press ' to bring up the fsatc window).The only thing you may need to do is to choose different keys for RC to use (I use Ctrl Shift 1, Ctrl Shift 2 etc) since FSATC needs the keys 1,2 etc.All the best,John