Sign in to follow this  
misgav

Recording real world atc chatter

I like the idea of having background chatter with RC4. However, as pointed out on a previous post, RC cannot juggle AI chatter and general chatter. You can listen to one or the other.Three questions on this:1. Where can I find airports that have live atc transmissions so that I could record the wav files and import them into RC?2. How would I record those transmissions? Is there a tool in Windows XP to do that? or some other freeware software to do the same?3. I'm thinking of using the freeware Enviro program -http://www.avsim.com/hangar/utils/enviro/ to play that live atc chatter after recording it. Has anyone tried this approach(no pun intended)?My goal is to enjoy both Ultimate Traffic atc interaction, plus background general chatter,which enhances the simulation.Eytan

Guest JTEK99

Well...I've started using liveatc.net for background chatter since there are places in the world that RC4 doesn't have canned chatter for.Liveatc.net has dozens of feeds and it's all _live_. Just use Winamp to play the streams, bookmark them, and call them up when you're flying. Quite a few major airports are in their feeds list, too (KSFO, KJFK, KBOS, EHAM, etc.) as well as some North Atlantic tracks and more. Just check it out. It's a quick and painless solution, and you never have "repeat" chatter.

So you're saying- forget recorded chatter, go for live.Just an hour ago, I had KFDW tower live atc running on Real Player in the background with Fs9 and RC4 running. I could barely hear tower. I was disappointed.Do you get a clear strong sound when you have your atc feed running?Eytan

Guest JTEK99

>So you're saying- forget recorded chatter, go for live.>Just an hour ago, I had KFDW tower live atc running on Real>Player in the background with Fs9 and RC4 running. I could>barely hear tower. I was disappointed.>Do you get a clear strong sound when you have your atc feed>running?Eytan:Well, they're not *my* feeds, of course. Some feeds are stronger than others, of course. One of my favorites is KSFO where Tower is on the left ear and Ground is on the right.Try a few more feeds. Additionally.. make sure you don't have RealPlayer's volume setting way down; that could be it, too.It's not that I've fully replaced the background chatter in RC4.. but many times now, I just have WinAmp playing a background stream. I'd highly recommend WinAmp (with no frills to save resources) for listening to the streams. Try it.. it's what I use and have no problems.

Hi Eytan,I record my live chatter from LiveATC.net at http://www.liveatc.net/There are many US, Canada and International feeds. They also have a mp3 archive of live feeds.I personally use the Recorder utility that came with my Creative Audigy sound card. Depending on how busy an airport is, I'll record 20 - 30 minutes of chatter. I'll then use the WaveStudio utility (a simple wav editor - included with Creative sound card software) to break up the file as to type per the manual. Make sure the file format is 8 bit mono (radio transmissions don't need stereo). Out of one editing session, I get quite a few usable wavs. The trick, of course, is to figure out which snippets are Ground, Tower, etc. The end result is most impressive!Hope it helps!Cheers,Mike T.

I've just installed Winamp, and used it to listen to live atc. really cool. Excellent sound quality. Thanks.Eytan

Guest JTEK99

>I've just installed Winamp, and used it to listen to live>atc. really cool. Excellent sound quality. Thanks.>EytanEytan:Cool. Glad you enjoy it. If you check liveatc.net's forums, there are new feeds being developed all the time. Great stuff for simmers!