Sign in to follow this  
Guest abulaafia

Time before altitude warning

Guest abulaafia

Isn't the time before the "Watch your altitude" warning a bit too short compared to reality? I flew into EDDF this morning and was asked to descend to FL350. Less than 1 nm later I got warned to watch my altitude. Seems a bit harsh.

Guest Douglas Thompson

Less than 1nm, or less than 1min? If it's less than a mile, yes that'd be too quick. Keep an eye on this. If the altitude warning's consistently too quick in a specific spot, let us know. The general parameter's at about a minute (maybe a hair less) if memory serves.

Guest abulaafia

1 nm. It happens anywhere, anytime. Around 0.6 to 0.8 nm. Definitely under 30 seconds time. I run an Intel D 2.8 MHz, 1 GB RAM, Radeon 1900XTX.

Guest Albion

Must say I find the alttude warning a bit quick. By the time I have set the altitude; set the plane for a flight level change including the FMC and waited for the plane to start descend/ascend I'm usually getting told off. I like to make a smooth progression to the next altitude for the sake of my passengers! :-(

I get a little more time by setting the FMC/MCP parameters before acknowledging and then activate the altitude change after acknowledging.For FMC controlled aircraft it is a three step process if under VNAV. As soon as I get the ATC request I bring up the DESC page and set the FL in the MCP. I then acknowledge and activate DESCEND NOW. I frequently will use the FLCH idle descent mode as it is a little faster to activate if needed.Once you have activated DESCEND NOW in VNAV the rest of the descents should follow the MCP ALT window I believe.

I'm having much the same nag - less than a minute and I get a 'warning' - somewhat harsh - mind you, I have the automatic reply option ticked - maybe I can give myself more time by unticking.