Sign in to follow this  
Guest jman214

Contacting Tower

Guest jman214

I have noticed this in the past, but have not really paid much attention to it. I was flying out of SBGL today and got clearance to taxi to runway 10. In the process of the taxi I was told to contact tower. I noticed on the AdvDisplay that I still had over 6,000 feet to go before I got to the hold short area. I usually just wait until I am at the hold short area then contact tower. If you contact tower at the time you are told, you will be told to taxi into position and hold, in my case 6,000 feet too soon.:( It doesn't seem to present a problem by waiting to contact tower. Just was curious if it was a normal thing to happen or not. Thanks.jman214

how far away were you when you started to taxi?6000 is a little far.launch fslaunch rcv4click debugload the .plnclick start rcand see if you can duplicate the problemif you can, zip up the .log and send it to mejd

Guest 102301636

In short, if ATC tells you to contact the tower then thats what you do, unless of course they told you to monitor tower, which means wait for them to call you, either way suppose you contact them and they clear you to line up and wait then that is your clearance limit regardless of whether you are holding at the runway or still taxiing out.It happens

Hi Alan,Check the sequence carefully. When you contact tower you report yourself 'ready to takeoff' but I don't think Tower actually clears you to line up and wait until you are quite close to the hold short point. I'll double check on my next flight.The time what you describe definitely occurs is if thew taxiway is very close to the runway and you are travelling very slowly. In that case RC thinks you are holding short part way along the runway.All the best,John

Hi Alan,I just checked this at LOWW rwy 34 where I was told to contact tower when 8000 feet from the threshold. I report 'ready for departure' and tower responded roger. That is not the permission to 'line up and wait'. That clearance was only given as I approached the hold short point. The same was true for a 'monitor tower' instruction.Might you have heard another plane being cleared to 'line up and wait' and assumed the message was for you?If it is you being told to 'line up and wait' when so far from the threshold then, as jd said, send him a log. It shouldn't be happening!All the best,John

I have stopped responding to the "contact tower' command as every time I did I was always told to "taxi into position and hold" even though I was usually about 1500 ft from the end of the runway. I always thought it was just a small bug in RC4 that you knew of, and so just waited until I did my final prep at the hold line before responding. The distance from the runway end whether to "monitor tower" (which works fine), or "contact tower" is always between 1500-1200 feet. I've never been told before that range. Mike