Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

UK Textures

I would like to obtain the best landscape scenery available for the UK. This requires a decent mesh, and realistic textures. I am considering adding the following:-FScene EuropeLandClass UK Country PackVisual Flight Terrain MeshCan anyone advise me if this is what I need ? In addition, if anyone has any screenshots of this combination, I would be very interested to see them.Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.PS. Low level screenshots would be required, since I rarely fly above 5000 feet.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris,In the latest PC Pilot magazine, issue 17, there is a preview with some screen shots of a new, as yet unnamed product from Visual Flight, which is said to be due out in Summer 2002. This is said to utilise a totally new method of mapping actual photographic data onto an accurate terrain mesh, and it looks really good. It reminds me of the scenery in Flight Unlimited III. This might be what you are looking for.Tony

Hi, Chris. Here is my opinion: Yep, I would go with Visual Flight. Instead of UK Landclass, you might as well go for Landclass Europe. FScene Europe has excellent textures; I got them but removed them for one reason: autogen objects like buildings and houses get scattered; you won't see no more the organized distribution of such objects. This is the case also with other replacement textures. So now I am back to using FS default textures. With Autogenious, FS textures shine.

Tony,That is very interesting news indeed. I will be receiving a copy of Issue 17 of PC Pilot very shortly, so this should be something worth reading about. Many thanks for the information.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks for the response Naji. However, I am rather interested in Tony's comments above, regarding a new version of Visual Flight terrain mesh with high quality textures. If this is a s good as it sounds, then THAT is what I will be getting !Chris Low,ENGLAND.PS. Did you ever get the FS2002 versions of Gary Summons' UK2000 Parts 1,2 and 3 ?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi there.I think that the visualflight website is just mentioning the mesh that is out at the moment and not the textures, The new product from them are aerial photos from the getmapping website mapped onto the UK mesh I guess and thats not mentioned on the website but it was in PCPilot magazine as mentioned earlier and it does look alot like Flight Unlimited 3 terrain mapping but apparently the textures will be more detailed, from what I saw from the screenshots in the magazine though it looked great, you could fly to your town and see it as it is in real life, even fly over your house and your street, but probably will be quite pixelated from a low altitude but will look better as you go higher, they said in the article it looked good at 2500 feet but that was with photo maps that wasnt as detailed.Regarding UK2000...excellent airport scenery, I cant recommmend them enough, Gary Summons that creates them always does updates to them quite regularly too. Frame rates arent too bad either and some of his scenery you can download as shareware but as his scenery is getting more detailed and also because of people using the shareware scenery then not registering it afterwards hes starting to make it so that you cant try buy before you buy.Hope you find this all usefulCraig Kiltie.

Craig,Thanks for the information. I did check the Visual Flight website, but they don't have anything about the photorealistic textures at the moment. With respect to them possibly being pixellated near the ground, I can't imagine that they will be any worse than the textures that exist already.As for Gary Summons' UK2000 scenery, I fully support his decision to stop releasing his products as shareware. Far too many people take advantage of this kind of thing, and Gary deserves better.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png