Sign in to follow this  
misgav

Enroute atis- where is it coming from?

Enroute, I sometimes leave the active comm frequency to get a weather update. The atis announcer comes on, giving weather info. But he doesn't specify which airport it's coming from.Am I missing something here?Eytan OrnsteinLLHA

when you are outside 60-70 miles of the arrival airport, and within 40 miles of the departure airport, you get the airport atis. that is proceeded by the name or icao code for the airport "orlando atis" for instance.if you are at cruise, outside those two regions, you are getting "in-flight" weather. the broadcast even says "this is inflight"jd

"in-flight weather"How about future versions of RC indicating which airport ICAO the ATIS is referring to. Eytan

but i don't know what atis station is reporting. i'm just reporting the weather as i see it. it could be any number of stations.

Which begins to make me think that Eytan has a good point - after all, what use is a weather report if you don't know where it's for?Weather forecasts can be for a general area but, as far as I know, actual weather reports are always for a specific location, i.e. the reporting station, which is always stated - along with the time of the observation - as part of the report. Maybe you do things differently in the US so what is this "in flight weather" that RC passes? An actual, an area or terminal forecast or what?PP

Guest hlm65

JD,maybe it could be possibile to read the weather from real reports stored in the WX files of programs such as ActiveSky (which has a new file for every hour).This could be very interesting and useful, you may even make a small additional "WX window" in the startup screens and put there some ICAO station for which you may wish to have updated wx reports (say: the destination and the alternates/route alternates airports; so you could get an update on the wx at your destination and make your planning better): if you could read the WX file, the "get the wx" could give you:-actual "near" airport wx-actual destination wx-actual alternates wxThis would sound more as a "VOLMET" than an ATIS (no runway infos) and could be personalized (you put he 3-4 ICAO that you need).You may even have 2 "get the wx" options: the VOLMET and the local (which gives the nearest airport ATIS).It may just read the METARs giving: wind, vis, wx, cloud, temp/dp and altimeter/QNH, disregarding any other attached info (such as Windshear, CB position and a lot of stuff that can be appended at the end of the METAR and that many times is in a not standardized format).I don't know if this is possibile, but if so, would be a very nice improvement.Thanks a lot.

Guest thetull

Hi GuysI tuned in to get the latest weather 60 miles out of San Francisco yesterday and it cause my computer to crash and restored all my settings to default.....any ideas as to why this happend. I do have U.S Ultimate Terrain installed and also the latest version of FSUIPC installed. I did read that it could be a scenery issue...??? Any ideas?

Guest CTyankee

Is your Enroute ATIS on the same frequency as your Departure ATIS? If so, FSUIPC 3.60 fixes this crash problem. Be sure to read the documentation.Cheers,Sandy

Guest thetull

Ok...thanks Sandy.I will check the manual out.