Sign in to follow this  
Guest D17S

Voice Recognition for RC

Guest D17S

It would be great to have RC set up to recognize actual verbal readbacks. Generally, the entire ATC / pilot conversation is simply, "Instruction" . . . "Readback." If RC could be enabled to recognize a set of key ATC words: like "Altitude", "Heading" . . . (and of course a couple of hundred others), a system of "correct response readback" might be designed. RC would need to "hear" at least several correct words in response to its last instruction set. In the real world, ATC instructions are extremely structured. Also, in the real world, readbacks are a mess. RC could set up the readback recognition system up so it will only recognize readbacks when properly structured and sequenced. It would make the system SO much easier to design. "Say it like this, in this order" . . . or ATC will want your flight schools name! Actually, it would be counter-productive go to the massive amount of extra work that would allow RC to recognize the typical 'rambling readback' that typically occurs. If RC could help teach a new generation of pilots how to give tight, structured readbacks, ATC would probably give RC a prize! The structure is definitely there. RC knows what's going on in an ATC environment. Now, for the next step: A readback interface? That would add an entirely new level of realism to the program. Readbacks are one of the most challenging parts of flying in a busy ATC environment. This could be a significant learning tool and a real challenge for virtual pilots. And a very technically possible potential? What do you think?

it's possible. but every time i dabble in speech recognition, i'm depressed. indeed it is more realistic, but i find myself repeating 2-4 times, to get what i'm saying recognized correctly.that's not good enough.if there are third parties out there that are better great. i have code (commented out) to handle a voice recognition program that takes a recognized phrase, and sends me a string of characters which i then deal with. like "request fl230" till do the menu's to request fl 230.right now, i have other priorities, and other things i need to do with rc.but it's on the list.jd

Guest BAW063

Hi guys,This would be a really neat feature. I use Game commander to speake to FDC. I have all the checklist answers programmed into the speach engine. They all trigger the same hot key, but I feel more in the loop and I can safely say I know the 757 lists and procedures by heart.I know getting this to happen in RC would be way harder as its not hot keys you would be trying to trigger. Proflight 2000 and game commander made this happen in limited but workable way.James

Guest Bud

Hello JamesI use Game Commander too - I use it to speak to Radar Contact and have been doing it for a couple of years now. The way I've done it is to use the 'Silent Pilot' process and then program a number of key words to trigger an appropriate menu selection. The result is as close to ATC interaction as is currently possible I think.For example, the key word 'Roger' at the end of any phrase will trigger the ack menu selection. I simply use the last word as the trigger and key the mike at the appropriate time. As an eg take the ready to taxi phase, I will speak " ... ready to -key mike- "taxi""; after Ground response; ".... -key mike- "Roger", the dots in this case being my call sign.All sounds a bit clumsy maybe, but I've been doing it for so long, it's now second nature and works very well. It is important to have a good microphone and regularly 'retrain' the GC key words.Initially, this procedure can be quite stressful particularly in the take off and landing phases with one of the more complex add-on planes. When you've finished, you know you've been in a flight and the congrats message sounds even sweeter!!!Bud