Sign in to follow this  
lauderj

Future enhancement request

Hi Guys,First off I want to tell you how much enjoyment I have had from RC4. This is a great add-on and look forward to the product as it grows.I've seen several posts on here related to future functionality and so I thought, as a serious user, I would put my 2 cents worth in to the mix.I have recently taken to flying transatlantic routes from US to Euro ports of call. I think a real nice enhancement, that would seem not to be to difficult to do at first glance, is to provide functionality for requesting oceanic clearence from Gander or Shadwick control areas. Some of the other things that perhaps could be simulated as well would include loss of VHF comms during part of the NAT crossing, position reports using simulated HF comms, changing to 2000 transponder code during the NAT crossing, ect.This would some real new functionality as opposed to just tweaking some of the shortfalls mentioned elsewhere (AI traffic interaction, turn left or right, stuff like that). I know there are a lot of pilots out there that like to fly transatlantic routes and even on VATSIM it's not easy to simulate the process that really occurs since usually there are no controllers manning the Gander and Shadwick control areas.Anyway, just a thought ...Jerry Lauderbaugh767 Captain, Delta Virtual Airlines

I agree that this would be another wonderdul enhancement. I think for now I'd prefer a working Ground controller, because Ground is pretty much much the weakest link in the current version without AI interaction. I would also like to see FL changes from RVSM to RVSM N/S (for example over France, Spain).Also, of course, VFR would greatly enhance RC, but we don't want to stress the team too much, won't we? ;-)

Jerry,Thanks for your input. We've always had oceanic ops on the 'to do list', but it is major undertaking for a variety of reasons. Firstly the phrasology used in oceanic airspace is vastly different to other 'over-land' areas, so a whole new set of wavs need to be created. The phrases then need to be programed in a different way to the phrasology normally used by RC - ok, it can be done, but it's not simple.Then there is the realistic, electronic, nature of ocean flying these days as compared the 'old' way of crossing oceans. FS doesn't even provide a HF radio. Forget HF radio, think CPDLC Datalink, FANS, CADS, ADS, HF ACARS. Even oceanic clearances by voice as you mentioned are becoming more rare - so many are communicated to the aircraft via data now. What about SELCAL, how many aircraft maintain a listening watch for 12hrs with the noisey and annoying HF crackle? Therefore SELCAL simulation will probably need to be a must.And then there are airspace issues - which positions when crossed are a reporting waypoints? Which do not require a position report. How does RC estimate the Next Waypoint crossing time, which needs to be included in the report. RNP requirements also change vastly in the different oceanic controlled FIRs worldwide.So as you can see, there are many factors to be considered when going 'feet wet'. Because of this, it has never become a high-priority task within RC. But no doubt, as RC advances, so will it's handling of oceanic Class A airspace.Subs