Sign in to follow this  
Guest The masterBaker

Opposite Direction

Guest The masterBaker

Why is RC4 telling me to go in exactly the opposite direction from a flight plan compiled by FSBuild?For example I leave Edinburgh to go south to Bristol (using the TLA 6D SID) on a heading of 184 and RC4 keeps telling me to fly 005. I'm flying VNav and all the instruments are showing the correct course and the a/c is following the magenta line.Any ideas please?Regards,Paul

Guest Douglas Thompson

Paul,You missed a filed checkpoint. You must get credit for each checkpoint. 2m for DPs, 5m enroute. RC's telling you to "go back and get credit".You can always request your next checkpoint to get around this but that's sort of a poor work-around if you're just starting out.

>Paul,>You missed a filed checkpoint. You must get credit for each>checkpoint. 2m for DPs, 5m enroute. RC's telling you to "go>back and get credit".>>You can always request your next checkpoint to get around this>but that's sort of a poor work-around if you're just starting>out.but wouldnt you do that in real life? Surely you wouldnt do a u-turn just to fly over a checkpoint?

I think this brings up a good point. Never having been a real IFR pilot, would this ever really happen that a controller would order you back to a waypoint??? "Getting credit" for hitting a waypoint is a very "gameish" aspect that I wouldn't expect from any serious FS add-on. The RC warning about drifting off course would seem more appropriate in this circumstance. Don't get me wrong, RC has completely replaced the default ATC for me. This is just one little aspect that, for me, needs to be fixed. Mike

Guest wrspeck

I am a real IFR pilot and Instrument Instructor. While I've neverbeen told to make a u-turn just to cross a checkpoint, I've certainlygotten an earful when I didn't follow the course I was supposed tobe on. One time early in my career, I was assigned a SID coming out of White Plains. Got overloaded in some pretty dense airspace and missed a turn toward a fix. And the friendly Tracon controller let me know about it too.I agree, going back to pick up a missed fix is not very realistic. However, missing fixes is not something you can do routinely in the real world IFR system without ramifications.Walt

Guest Douglas Thompson

Tkx Walt, and this is the dilemma... by allowing users to miss checkpoints, what's the point of checkpoints? Theoretically, one could file 30 checkpoints but when airborne, fly direct...? You filed it; fly it. There's a purpose.At work, yes I see this but absolutely not often. RW pilots (especially those in the FLs) are pretty sharp. I personally give 'em no more than 4m grace, every C's different I suppose. When one does miss a checkpoint and after asking if they're having nav trouble, I make point to let them know it hasn't gone un-noticed. Depending on the pilot, things progress from there ;-).One difference between ZME and RC is, RC doesn't slam you as quickly as I would at work. What is it, 20m past a checkpoint b4 RC yells...? That one reason RC try to turn you around (no, I'd not do that).I'll make note; can't say what we'll do with it at this point. I'll have to ponder this one. Maybe some embarassing critique }( :) ?

Thanks for this reply, Doug. It confirms what I thought should be a better response from RC: ream the pilot out for missing the waypoint. If that's what happens when controllers such as yourself see this happen, then that should be what RC tries to simulate. I have one plane I use that has a bug when swtiching from manual to autopilot that sometimes causes some large vertical speed excursions. I get yelled at by RC. Annoying since I'm dealing with a buggy add-on, but understandable from RC's point of view and I wouldn't want it changed. Mike

until we change it in the future, don't miss a checkpoint, and there won't be a problem :-)that was a joke!jd

Guest The masterBaker

Thanks very much for the replies.I'll have to re read the manual as I don't even know what "credits" are!!:-( Anyway, apart from RC not warning of other aircraft when taxying, it is a first rate addon and thank you to the developers!!Regards,Paul

>>I'll have to re read the manual as I don't even know what>"credits" are!!:-( >You gain credits for flying over each waypoint filed in your flightplan within a certain distance.These credits are then stored on the RC4 server. When you have accumulated 250 credits you get access to the secret RC5 server where you download a secret copy of version 5. Shhhhhhhhh!!Well, thats what my manual doesnt say :)Graham

Guest wrspeck

>until we change it in the future, don't miss a checkpoint,>and there won't be a problem :-)>>that was a joke!>>jd"Doc, it hurts when I do this...""Well, then don't do that!":) :) :)

Guest rcb1963

Ok. This has happend to me a couple times too. Now I use the PMDG with a FMC. I dont miss waypoints usually. lol BUT.... say I file a flightplan and load it into the fmc. By the time I'm doing this RC is already running with a flightplan loaded. NOW....Ground gives me a differnt rwy than the 1 in my plan. For 1 reason or another I decide to take it. Now from here I make the changes in the FMC. But RC still has the original plan. Can this be the reason? And if so, what am I doing wrong? Do I need to change the Plan loaded into RC?

The reason you have differing departure runway is because you have filed a plan to depart from eg 9L when in FS2004 the wind is a tail on that runway, hence you being instructed to use 27R.Are you using ASV for your weather? Best to check the weather first for your departure airport and select your runway based on that.Or you could use FSBuild which will do it for you, as long as you have external weather program refreshed with current weatherRegardsGraham

Guest cirurgiao

HiJust to know: Does FSBuild allow you, while making a flightplan, choose the runway according the wind?Because this is really what it matters in the initial phase of the flight, the correct runway. I know that AI planes have odd ways, but adding a more realistic way makes one feels like a real pilot, doesn't it?I'm a new user of RC(4) & just recently bought AS6.ThanksEduardo

Guest rcb1963

I do use FSBuild. And I have The Winds Aloft checked in FS Build. When I look at the Navlog FSB creates all the wind info is there. But yet almost half the time the runways differ. But anyway, I realize I need more time and instruction on proper flight planning. Something I was never too concerned with before RCv4. I guess what my question here is: If for ANY reason you need to make changes to your flightplan AFTER RC is loaded, Do I need to change the plan in RC? And is that even possible after RC is loaded and running? Rich