Sign in to follow this  
Auduns

Stuttering, again!!!

Hello, I'm sorry about making a new post about this, but what I have read about the others the stuttering appears when the controllers are speaking. With me it's the opposite, when the controllers are speaking FS runs fluidly, and when not FS stutters in a way that its impossible to fly. Another effect is that, FS wants to reload all the textures all the time and this make the stuttering even worse.I have tried turning off all other programs and still the stuttering appears, but if I shut down RC4 it runs fine.It's the same result both for 4.0 and 4.01.This is really frustrating because I really love RC4 and do want to use it all the time, but now it's just impossible.Can anyone help me please.By the way I'm running on AMD 3400+ 64bit XP64, 1G ram, ATI 9800PRO 128 mem.Regards Audun Sj

Hi,same problems going on here (with this excellent product). But with stutters it's not a fun to use it!HermanIntel 3.2 gHz; ATI800x 256mb; 2 gig RAM

i can tell you i'm not causing the textures to reload. i don't even know how to do that.maybe that is what is causing the drain on the cpu, and making the stutters worse.if there are stutters in 4.0 (which had no stutters as far as i know), something else is going on.maybe it has something to do with running 32 bit apps on a 64 bit os.what version of fsuipc? what kind of sound card? defragged disk recently? os, fs, and rc all on the same drive?jd

what kind of sound card? same disk for os, fs, rc? what version of fsuipc?jd

is there someone in atlanta, or memphis that is having stutter problems?jd

Hi,OS: windows XP home/ FS installed on a seperate fysical harddrive then RCV4 is but in the same computer. Newest FSUIPC version but the older ones give the same results. Just after a stutter ATC starts talking (I've never ask for a 'say-again' because I can see what's coming :))Herman

Hi folks,I like RC4 very much and use since it has been released for nearly every flight.However, I suffer from these stutters too - sometimes more, sometimes less. It seems to depend on the overall CPU load, so it's worse during an approach on a big airport with a lot of AI traffic.The stutters began with 4.01, like others reported as well.I now took the time to analyse my system a little bit, and I noticed that RC4 makes a lot of calls to the file system:FileMon from Sysinternals tells me that RC4 makes something like 300 thousand file system calls in a few seconds to read from and write to wave files when it comes to something simple like requesting QNH from the controller.FS9.exe itself needs to run more than an hour to get such big numbers, but RC4 does this in just a few seconds!I know how misleading such information can be, but IMHO increasing the buffer size when reading the .wav files might at least be worth trying. Perhaps it might be even possible to create the intermediate audio clips only in memory and play it from there, instead of writing it to the hard disk.Just my two cents. Best regards - NormanMy system specs:Pentium 3.2 GHz2 Gigs of RAMWindows XP Home SP2Directx 9.0CATI Radeon 740XLOnboard-Sound (I tried a SB card, but that didn't help)

that doesn't surprise me. i have to open each wav file, and "binarily" put them together to put them into a new wav. a lot of io.given that there are so many reads, why do most people not have a problem, and some people do. i think that is the question.if i knew how to write a memory file, instead of committing the concatenated wav to disk, i would. do you know how?jd

Hi jd,thanks for the reply.I appreciate your efforts in solving this issue. I know myself how hard it is to fix something that you cannot reproduce on your own machine :-(IIRC Radar Contact is written in Visual Basic, and I'm not really an expert in this language (my last experience with Basic was "Access Basic", and this was round about 10 years ago).However, I stumbled across two API's that at least claim to play WAVs from memory:The first one sndPlaySound from winmm.dll and is described here:http://www.gpwiki.org/index.php/VB:Tutoria...WAV_Sound_FilesIt has an option SND_MEMORY, which should play a WAV directly from memory.More promising to me looks the DirectSound API (part of DirectX), which has an object called DirectSoundBuffer:http://www.gpwiki.org/index.php/DirectX:Di...X7:IntroductionEspecially the WriteBuffer function might help:http://www.gpwiki.org/index.php/DirectX:Di..._Resource_FilesDirectSound should also give you more control when playing the WAVs, you should be able to control the volume and stop already running sounds. I think you once mentioned that you just "fire" the WAV and have to wait until it has completed, so perhaps this API might at least help there.Please forgive me if this is all old news for you and you all tried this already with no luck, but at least it looked like what you were asking for.Best Regards - Norman

Hello JDI'm sorry I haven't replied before now, but it's gone some time since I wrote my post and there weren't much interrest before now. Anyway, I have an ATI 9800PRO videocard, Soundblaster live 24bit soundcard and I'm now running RC4 on the same pertition. I only have one harddisk, divided into four pertitiones. I have tried running the 4.0 version on another pertition, but this didn't help.I know you are doing what you can to fix this, and I'm very grateful for your effort. And are looking forward to a solution, this addon is absolutely one of the best ever.I'm not a computerwizz myself, but what I have figured out is that it is not RC thats pulling all the resources from the CPU, but it somehow makes FS do it, very strange.[Edit:] Sorry forgot: My OS is running on a completly separate pertition, and FSUIPC is the latest one and registered.Thank you very muchRegards Audun Sj

can you send me an email, to jd@jdtllc.com - i have something i want you to tryjd

Been along time but as I recall when you create a file and get the file handle the arguments you pass to the create call determine the type of file device you want. As I recall you can specify if you want the file in ram and then have to determine a buffer size. That may underly the VB calls but it should offer the same choices.It looks like the Direct_X calls noted below can provide the same functionality.To avoid writing the .wavs twice, by using the ram file device you should be able to using the append parameter and write each wave appended to the ram file (buffer). There should be no need to write to disk.Regarding writing to a buffer, usually a pointer to the next available address is returned with the remaining size of the buffer available. There are calls to reset (rewind) the file (point to the beginning) and clear and reinit the buffer. At the VB level it probably has been already done with the calls simplified.You probably want to figure out a worst case scenario for buffer size and establish that size (create the ram file) when RC starts and then write and reset the file, read, rewind, write, and so on but not delete the file until RC exits.It has been a heck of a long time since I've done that but that's the general idea. I suspect the Direct_X API can do this for you.

your insight, made me look at a few things.i found something that was a dubious piece of code. after a little research, i changed 2 lines of code, and it appears the stutters are no more.my beta testers who had a few stutters, concur. those who answered the google group email i sent out a few hours ago, who have the new build (3808), also concur.send me an email (jd@jdtllc.com) - i'd like to thank you personally, and let you try the build.jd

Hi JDI can see from your last post that you may have found a solution, what a joy :-jumpy First, I'm really sorry I haven't been able to contribute much to a string I myself started, but I have had a lot to do at work lately.And then second, when can we expect to see the fix public? I getting a bit eager to use RC4 again you see :DAnd from the bottom of my heart, a big thank you to JD and Debugger (I hope this was the right guy :))Best regards Audun Sj

Guest mariosunshine

Suffering the same problem...Also XP64. with both versions, 400 and 401 Flightsimulator itself runs much better now... however RC4 stutters in both versions. I must admit I never had them using xp home edition. Would be great if a solution to this is on the wayKurt