Sign in to follow this  
mnmon

It's spring time!

Which means thunderstorms. Twice in the last week using AS6 I've had to ask for a wx deviation, only to be denied. I still deviated as a PIC I would not penetrate the looming TS straight in my flight path and of course got all sorts of grief from RC. Why won't RC give me a deviation? It mentioned crossing traffic, but with those 40,000 ft monsters around, safety for me is my primary concern ;-) Mike

you were probably too close too your next checkpoint. if you deviate, you may never progress that checkpoint. that's why you were denied.on average, how far apart are your waypoints?jd

Distance depends on the flight plan; I don't really have a set spacing. When I asked for a deviation the waypoint was about 25 nm with a TS sitting right on top of it. Your answer seems to imply that RC emphasizes waypoints over the flight path they define. However, if it is needed to deviate for safety reasons, but then still return to the flight path, shouldn't that be allowed? How is it done with real ATC? Seems to go back to the other thread about getting credit for waypoints. A pilot should stick to a flight plan (hit the waypoints), but not be made to go back if one is missed, and also allowed to deviate if needed for weather. Mike

Rather than explain here, look at page 127 of the pdf manual about a procedure that will allow you to skip a waypoint. This would increase the distance to you next waypoint allowing a weather deviation.I would suspect the if a TRW is that close to you, the waypoint you are that close to would be skipped anyway and after your deviation you would go direct to the next one or even futher down your route for the most efficient return to the filed route.Just an idea to try.

I've used the direct to waypoint option a few times, I'll try that for my next wx deviation. Mike