Sign in to follow this  
Guest CowlFlapsOpen

FSS .. how contact

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

Most of my favorite fields are untowered. Two I have recently tried included KHII and KACV. At each I only get a menu with two choices: (2) Wx on FSS and (4) CLR on FSS. This is what I expect. But no matter what I press or tune on the radio I can't either of these options to do anything. Silence and no change. As a result I don't get any taxi or subsequent options. I just have to use the default ATC. It seems like maybe the radio needs to be tuned to a specific frequency, but I have scoured the manual and can't find what to tune to. I have use all the frequencies listed from FS Navigator off the Jeppsen Charts, but nothing. I try Center, CTAF, and AWOS. Nothing. FS Navigator lists a FSS frequency for KACV (but not KHII) but it doesn't work either. Otherwise I have no trouble. What am I doing wrong?

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

Thanks, No. I enjoy tuning the radios myself (more realistic). Is that what is nescessary?

Guest 102301636

in a nut shell, yes....if tune on contact were selected then you would only have to press 1 (or 2) through the fsuipc window and RC would then tune the radio, then you hear the voices....

i can find the freq's for you, if you want. or you can write them down after the first time you use tune on contact.then turn off tune on contact, and use those frequenciesjd

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

Thanks. I'd like to keep tuning the radios myself (I know it sounds like work but I am planning to get my PPL sooon and want to get used to these types of workload challenges). So if I understand correctly: The first time I depart from an untowered airport I should set the Tune on Contact. When I press Wx from FSS or CLR from FSS, it will display the freqs and I can make a note of them for future reference. FSS frequencies vary by airport, correct? There is no connection to the real world freqs and they can't be looked up in f4.csv or something?

i looked it up in the code. you don't have to do anything special. tune to 118.80 to contact FSSjd

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

fabulous! Your support and patience has been great and the program is realy growing on me. best