Sign in to follow this  
Guest hlm65

Wishlist: weather

Guest hlm65

Hi JD,I'm putting here (as an addition to the "wishlist") a reply that I gave to another thread regarding ATIS that seems to have gone un-noticed:"JD,maybe it could be possibile to read the weather from real reports stored in the WX files of programs such as ActiveSky (which has a new file for every hour).This could be very interesting and useful, you may even make a small additional "WX window" in the startup screens and put there some ICAO station for which you may wish to have updated wx reports (say: the destination and the alternates/route alternates airports; so you could get an update on the wx at your destination and make your planning better): if you could read the WX file, the "get the wx" could give you:-actual "near" airport wx-actual destination wx-actual alternates wxThis would sound more as a "VOLMET" than an ATIS (no runway infos; so you don't need to watch what AI are doing) and could be personalized (you put the 3-4 ICAO that you need).You may even have 2 "get the wx" options: the VOLMET and the local (which gives the nearest airport ATIS).It may just read the METARs giving: wind, vis, wx, cloud, temp/dp and altimeter/QNH, disregarding any other attached info (such as Windshear, CB position and a lot of stuff that can be appended at the end of the METAR and that many times is in a not standardized format).I don't know if this is possibile, but if so, would be a very nice improvement.Thanks a lot."Thanks again and thumbs up for RC: I can't do one single flight without it!

Guest mmcevilley

>"JD,>maybe it could be possibile to read the weather from real>reports stored in the WX files of programs such as ActiveSky>(which has a new file for every hour).>This could be very interesting and useful, you may even make a>small additional "WX window" in the startup screens and put>there some ICAO station for which you may wish to have updated>wx reports (say: the destination and the alternates/route>alternates airports; so you could get an update on the wx at>your destination and make your planning better): if you could>read the WX file, the "get the wx" could give you:>-actual "near" airport wx>-actual destination wx>-actual alternates wxEverything you described is possible using, for example, ActiveSky. In fact, what you described is what I typically do enroute: check destination and enroute weather using the AS6 interface. AS6 also has the capabiity to provide a complete log of the weather enroute which you can print out and mark up as conditions change (where you determine that change has occurred using AS6).So, why would we want to invest a significant amount of time to implement WX capabilities within RC4 when a very robust capability already exists? Doing so would only take away from development of more ATC-centric capabilities - which after all - is what RC4 is all about.I think the concepts of your idea are great - but - if RC4 keeps focused on ATC and AS6 keeps focused on Wx, the combination of the two is more powerful than either one alone trying to do more of what the other does BEST! ;-)-michael

Guest hlm65

Yes, but if all this weather related infos (which are part of the ATC services) could be embedded into one program such as RC, this could be more realistic and simpler.

Other than AS6's flightwatch on 122.0 com2, to get any other info you have to switch windows and I think the request is to stay within the cockpit view. It would be nice.You comment about the printed AS6 navlog is correct but more appropriate (in my opinion) for preflight planning in picking cruise levels and entering performance data in FMC assisted aircraft.That being said, if enabled AS6 flightwatch can enter current data as it crosses reporting stations as text into the scroll (green) window. I have not had a problem with it mixing with RC text that I have enabled for display.

Guest mmcevilley

>Other than AS6's flightwatch on 122.0 com2, to get any other>info you have to switch windows and I think the request is to>stay within the cockpit view. It would be nice.I fly with multiple monitors, multiple hosts. AS6 display is dedicated, as is my cockpit view. I'd suggest folks look into multiple displays to alleviate some of the congestion and panel switching issues, until, and if, RC4 incorporates the types of WX functions being requested. ;-)-michael

Guest mmcevilley

>Yes, but if all this weather related infos (which are part of>the ATC services) could be embedded into one program such as>RC, this could be more realistic and simpler.Certainly not simpler for the developer! ;-)

Guest Douglas Thompson

I'm going to agree with Mike on the overall here. I'll list a suggestion for including destination and alternate(s) wx (what is 'actual near airport wx?) to be read from a menu but can't/won't promise given ASV6's capability to get this info there. I think we're supplying the nearest wx now while enroute.We shall see.Understand, the amt of requests that come in via this forum and to us in emails... it's incredible. We'll never, ever empty the list and there's not one item on it where the author doesn't feel it should be #1 priority.That's why John's coming to Memphis in a month. We'll prioritize RC's direction at that time and guesstimate the means/ends aspect of your request.