Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

Still get the stutters!

Sorry to bring this hoary old beast back on but I didn't want you guys to think that the problem had gone away. I was optimistic after installing FSUIPC 3.6 that it was virtually solved and totally acceptable. However, a few weeks of use has shown that sometimes it is tolerable but occasionally it completely spoils things. It is worse when on the ground, probably because I am closer to the scenery and a stutter shows up more. Yesterday for example while taxiing out to the runway, just before RC told me to contact tower I knew it was coming by the pause in my progress along the taxiway. It lasted just over a second. Worse was to come. While on my take-off roll just at the point of rotation RC spoke to an AI and I was paused, again for just over a second with the nose wheel just above the runway! This does tend to spoil the immersion factor. These are extreme examples and the pauses are not usually as long but they do detract from an otherwise excellent add-on.Now I know that not everyone suffers from this and I could eliminate it by reverting to version 4.0 but having heard the much better pace of voices in 4.01 I am spoiled!I have done everything I can think of to minimise this problem and certainly regular frequent de-fragging of my HD helps but it doesn't cure it. So, if anyone has anything like a solution I for one would be very pleased!This is in no way any criticism of John & the team whose support is unparalleled.Iain

believe me, i wish i had the answer. i spent a couple of weeks trying different things, and the stuttering beta tester saw no relief.is fs9 and rc on the same drive? what antivirus program are you running?what if you turn ai to 0%, as a test. do you still have stutters?anything to give me a clue, would helpjd

Thanks for your quick response and I understand your problem John. Computers are wonderful except when they're being a PITA!To answer some of your questions straight away:-I was running RC on my second drive with XP and FS on the main drive but still had the problem. As my paging file is also on my second drive (recommended by some pundits to improve performance of FS9) I reasoned that RC might be better away from the paging file so I put it back on the main drive with FS9. Quite frankly I haven't seen any difference.I am running Norton 2005 AV and Norton firewall. I also have AS6 and run on line to get real weather. However, I have tried turning off 'auto protect' in Norton but that makes no difference. I have also tried not running AS and flying off-line and although then the overall frame rate is a bit higher, the stutters with RC are still there.I will do a flight this evening with traffic set at 0% to see what happens. I will then do a separate test flying off line and using FS Autostart to close down all unnecessary progs, including Norton AV and firewall. I'll report back.RegardsIain

Guest jboweruk

Hi Iain, I see you are using Norton 2005, sorry to say it but I found that to be a resource hog. I took it off in the end. The techies where I work all recommend AVGFree. Do a search in Google for that it will be one of the top links. I'm not going to swear blind it will cure your problem but it just may help.

>Hi Iain, I see you are using Norton 2005, sorry to say it but>I found that to be a resource hog. I took it off in the end.>The techies where I work all recommend AVGFree. Do a search in>Google for that it will be one of the top links. I'm not going>to swear blind it will cure your problem but it just may>help.Thanks John, I'll check it out!Iain

>I will do a flight this evening with traffic set at 0% to see>what happens. I will then do a separate test flying off line>and using FS Autostart to close down all unnecessary progs,>including Norton AV and firewall. I'll report back.Well I did the test flights and found that none of these things made any noticeable difference. What I have noticed is the variability of the problem. Sometimes just before RC speaks to me there is a long (about a second) pause, sometimes a much shorter one and very occasionally not one that I can perceive at all. Another observation is that the pause is worse at the start of an exchange between RC and me. It is then less before my reply and any subsequent response from RC. And yet RC cannot always know what I am going to reply and, therefore what wav files will be needed. So is the cause more than just the gathering of the wav files? I'm not clever enough!Don't know if any of this is any use John!Iain

Really strange - seems as if there's no common ground for jd to do trouble shooting on here.I have a low end spec machine: AMD Athlon 2.2 - 1Mb RAM and a Radeon 9600 graphics card - I also run ASV and RC all on the same drive but separate from my OS & never had stutters at all.

the more wavs i have to piece together (clearance, weather) the longer it takesjd

>the more wavs i have to piece together (clearance, weather)>the longer it takes>>jdJust thinking out loud but would it have made any difference if the recordings had been in mp3 format rather than wav?Iain

Guest jboweruk

Slower I think, isn't MP3 bigger than Wav files?

>Slower I think, isn't MP3 bigger than Wav files?Don't think so John, mp3 are about one third the size of the equivalent wav file!Iain