Sign in to follow this  
Guest Segwin

Altitude Busted

Guest Segwin

Hello:I was leaving EDDF for KJFK. I imported a plan from from MSFS 2004 (made with FSBuild). I checked to make sure the altitude was correct in the controller section as 310.I was to to climb to 11,000. Upon reaching 11,000 I was told that I busted my assigned altitude. I hit B to make sure the altimeter was set correctly which it was.What did I do wrong.BTW, PMDG 747TIA*** EDIT ***Nevermind, should have searched first. Found the answer.

"B" is a FS9 key, and it only sets the altimeter correctly for US transition levels.so when you pressed it, you got the local pressure set on the altimeter, instead of 29.92/1013for the international fliers, forget the "B" and manually set the altimeter.####. i just read your last sentence :-)jd

Guest jboweruk

I really don't understand why we don't have an internationally agreed TA for the whole world, this 5K in one country and 18K in another is silly.BTW, can I set that manually to ignore real world TA's in RC and just use standard 18000 feet anywhere?

nope, you can't ignore reality.the TA is defined in RC for most fs airports. the TL is calculated based on pressure at the arrival and departure airportsdoesn't the pmdg have the ability to set the TA and TL, and have button to set the pressure accordingly (as opposed to the "B" key)?jd

>BTW, can I set that manually to ignore real world TA's in RC>and just use standard 18000 feet anywhere?Sigh - I really cannot beleve you asked this. The default ATC was so awful afa reality of pressure settings were concerned - particularly in Europe - RC4 has made things a whole lot better :)

The transition altitudes in the PMDG 737 are set in the performance pages and or route pages in the FMC. I'd have to fire them up to recall where but they are there for take-off and landing. I do note the values in the RC controller page preflight and then enter them into the FMC approapriately.In the FMC these are used for VNAV speed control to observe speed restrictions but do not control the altimeter pressure setting. For that on the ND control panel you push in (toggle the center with the mouse) the ALT knob to switch between standard and local (pilot set).

Guest Douglas Thompson

I knew this was going to open a can of worms. Wait until PP see this :(.Fact is, regardless of where we live (States or Euro), we've all thought the same thing at one point or another... "Why don't 'they' do it like us?".

I wonder if in the US flight levels commencing at 18,000 has to do with perhaps avoidance of enroute terrain obstacles at that level. My geography/topography is not that great but I believe at that level terrain is not a consideration. Then following the KISS principle they decided on one transition altitude.I understand also that speed restriction relief below 10,000 is being pursued by the big boys here but as already discussed is common in non-US territory.

Guest jboweruk

The reason I asked is that I have other add-ons that can't change TA's mid flight, FSPax for example can have a different TA set, but not changed in flight. And BTW, I'm British and I still think a standard TA of FL180 makes sense, not many mountains above that.

Hi,There are plenty of mountains over 18000 close to my local airport.I love the realism of real world TL's in RC.I saw someone mentioned a key in the PMDG to set pressure... is there one (other than :(? In some ways I like the ease of pressing a ky... but in the real world ( that we are trying to simulate )it is done the hard way... listen to the radio and dial in the numbers.Cheers,Paul ( SPIM in case you wonder about my local airport )

You can get the TAs going to be used for arrival/departure from the controller page of RC4 before you activate it. For those products that you can only change preflight you can set it then before activating RC. I handle FMC TA entries the same way for departure and I write it down for arrival.

I have not tried any yet but yes, some Peruvian approaches can be challenging as I understand.

Hi Ron,You should try Cuzco. SPZO. Airport is at 10500.There are very interesting discussions about the super "high commit to land" altitudes.... far an a320 its 11700 ( 2 engines operative ) and 13000 ( 1 engine ).American had to develop special procudures with the 757 to comply with FAA regs for US carriers! AA no longer fly there however.Paul