Sign in to follow this  
RogerPotie

RC4 & WideFS Question for RT or JD

I have installed WideFS and RCV4 on the secondary PC. I executed the Makerwys. I checked the presence of r4.csv in the main folder of FS9.Now the manual says that when I rebuild the Scenery DB I need to specify the NETWORK path to the main FS folder. Here I am a bit lost. How do I find the network path that I need to provide to RCV4 ? I thought that WideFS handles the connections.If I enter just C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9 as the path RCV4 tells me he cannot find the file

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Hi Roger,I have a drive mapped to the FS2004 folder on my RC4 PC. Then when I rebuild the scenery database, and RC prompts me for the location, I just need to enter the new drive location, such as "G:". The reason specifying the "C" drive does not work is that FS2004 is not located on the C drive of the RC4 PC.You might also be able to do something like "", but I have never actually tried that method.There may be other ways to do this as well, but I have found that using the mapped drives works well for RC and other FS add-ons.

Bryan,Thanks. But then another question: what do you mean by mapping the FS2004 folder ? How do I do that.Meanwhile I am searching in the MS help how to share files and folders. I am making some progress but the learning curve is not that easy. When I try to share FS9 folder (in Program FilesMicrosoft Games) the system tells me that the Server Service is not started. So now I am trying to get info on that.You see I am fighting my personal Normandy battle from hedge to hedge.The progress is slow. I can use any help I get.

Roger

Bryan,I solved the Server Service starting situation.But now I didn't manage to get access to the Network Group define in the main PC. I can reach that group in the secondary PC.I also found the info for SHARE_NAME

Roger

Guest RickT

Roger,What name did you give the Flight Sim PC when you set up your network? Have you set up shares for your Flight Simulator 9 folder?

Rick,Flight Sim PC is ROPIPO and is different from that of the secondary PC.I don't think I setted up any share for MS 9 folder yet.For the moment I just cannot even see the Mshome network group on the view workgroup computers of My Network Places. I can see it on the secondary PC but no sign of ROPIPO there.My problem miust be in the Mshome workgroup definition or authorizations to access it. But for the moment I am like a dog running after its tail. I am getting nowhere.Just looking at all the help from MS, knowledge bases, etc...

Roger

widefs by it's nature requires a certain level of networking, sharing expertise. many of my beta testers use it, maybe they will jump in and give you some step by step suggestionsjd

Hi Roger,Sorry for the delay in responding... long day at the office yesterday, and I did not log in last night when I got home.To share your FS2004 folder, on your FS PC, open Windows Explorer and navigate to your FS2004 folder. Right click on the FS2004 folder. Select Sharing and Security from the popup menu. Enter a share name, for example "FS2004". Click OK. The folder icon for the FS2004 directory should now have a hand underneath the folder to indicate that the folder is shared.To use the shared folder, on your RC PC, open Windows Explorer. Select the Tools --> Map Network Drive option. Select an unused drive letter from the drop down list. In the folder name field, type ROPIPOshare_name (where share_name = the name you specified on the FS RC). Click Finish. Hopefully, a new window will soon open with the contents of the FS2004 directory.Hopefully this will work. If not it, we may need to apply some security settings.

Guest RickT

Are you running a 3rd party firewall of some type? That might be your problem.You need to set up sharing for your flight simulator 9 folder before the network path will be accepted by RC.Here is how to set up shares:Please open Windows Explorer. Navigate to the c:program filesmicrosoft gamesflight simulator 9 Hightlight and click your right mouse button and choose Properties Click the sharing tab Click Alow this number of users and set it to 1 or 2 Click Permissions Click Add Click Advanced Click Find Now Scroll down the list until you find the name you are logged into Windows as and click on it Click OK That name should appear in the while box Click OK Click all 3 allow boxes placing a check mark next to each Click OK Click OK one more time. These steps will allow writing to that folder.Now try rebuilding scenery in Radar Contact.When it asks for the path put this in://ROPIPO/c:program filesmicrosoft gamesflight simulator 9

Bryan,I did that .But I receive in return: <>.Check the next reply to Rick.

Roger

Rick,I clicked the Sharing tab. But I cannot find any of the tabs, boxes, options you mentioned.I only find << Local sharing and security>> that I cannot changeI also find << Network sharing and security>> where the box <> is unchecked. That is all I can see.I have Windows XP home and I am using MS Firewall with NOD32 antivirus

Roger

Rick,Is << //ROPIPO/c:program filesmicrosoft gamesflight simulator 9 >> correct ? I mean they are //ROPIPO/ and not ROPIPOAny how the network on the secondary PC does not show a ROPIPO PC nor does it appear in the network group MshomeOn the main PC I cannot access a Mshome workgroup. No access permission. The more I search the more I believe I have a Firewall or AV problem. But I cannot find what and therefore how to correct the error.2 full days on the problem (I am retired) !!!

Roger

Oh Rick I forgot to mention that the Secondary PC is also home XP but with Symantec Firewall.

Roger

Rick,To be sure I still have a link between the 2 PCs I started MaxiVista (using the secondary PC as extra screen). And it worked.My PCs are linked through a modem/router/Firewall

Roger

Guest RickT

My guess would be you are being blocked by that firewall. You will have to write a rule to allow the connection. For testing purposes can you disable the Symantec firewall and try rebuilding scenery again?