Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

ILS not picked up at LSZH

Had something happen tonight which has happened a couple of times before with RC. I did a flight from Brussels to Zurich. On nearing Zurich I was given my final vectors and altitude to "maintain until established". I had the NAV radios tuned to the correct ILS frequency, set my heading and alt as instructed and waited for the ILS indicators to light up when I would press the APPR button.The GS diamond lit up but didn't move but no sign of life from the runway bar. I kept watching the RC window and the heading to the runway and eventually decided to take over. We had gone past the airport so I did a "hands on" turnaround, approach and landing. I don't think the passengers knew anything was wrong but they might not have liked my steep approach. :7 Anyone had this happen to them? If so, any ideas why? :-hmmm Iain

Hi Iain,You don't say what runway you were assigned at LSZH but 16 is the one I've been assigned to for most of my flights there using the default airport.14 and 16 are full ILS/GS/DME runways so the glideslope indicator should have moved if it was 14 or 16 you were assigned to.However, the opposite ends - 32 or 34 - do not have GS, only BC (back course) so that might have been the problem.Hope that helps,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray, yes 16 was the runway I was assigned to. As you say it seems to be the FS norm. Whether the altitude I was given of 5500 ft was slightly too high I don't know. With a runway at 1416 ft asl I would have expected to be brought down to 3500 to 4000 ft and maybe then the ILS would have been captured?Iain

A point of clarification - when I say this has happened a couple of times before, it was at different airports although I can't remember which ones. However, I do seem to recall that they were several hundred feet asl which made me wonder if RC has a problem in this area?Iain

Hi Iain,5500ft sounds okay for LSZH and I've experienced no problems at airports significantly above sea level. Deduct 1416ft from 5500 and you're close to 4000ft which although higher than normal shouldn't cause a problem. I'll fly EDDS-LSZH in the next few days and see what happens. In the meantine try rebuilding your scenery datafile and see if that makes a difference.You must be below the glideslope of course before APP mode will work correctly. If you're above it then it won't descend the aircraft on the GS. Apologies if you already know this.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>Hi Iain,> I'll fly EDDS-LSZH in the next few days and see what happens.Thanks Ray, I'd be interested in the result > In the meantine try rebuilding your scenery datafile and see if that > makes a difference.Will do.>You must be below the glideslope of course before APP mode>will work correctly. If you're above it then it won't descend>the aircraft on the GS. Apologies if you already know this.Yes, although I've only learned that recently. That's why I thought that 5500 ft might be too high. I think that as I came in distance range to pick up the ILS, at that height I was above the glide slope. I'll try the flight again and if the same happens I'll re-fly it going lower than 5500 ft if that is what I am given.CheersIain

Not directly related but I had a freeware LSZH scenery that had an APxxx.bgl included. It must have had errors as suddenly landscape features were covering taxiways and runways. I restored the original and all was OK.

>Not directly related but I had a freeware LSZH scenery that>had an APxxx.bgl included. It must have had errors as suddenly>landscape features were covering taxiways and runways. I>restored the original and all was OK.Ron, I must have had the same scenery as I had exactly the same problem and solution several months ago!Iain

Ray, I rebuilt the scenery db as you suggested, did another flight into Zurich and all is ok - no problems and I did it twice as I had a go-around! Thanks for your help.:) Iain

Hi Iain,That's great! I've been having a few computer problems today hence my slow reply. Happy flying!Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather