Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Descent problem

First I would like to point out that my impression is that the instructions for descent comes somewhat early.Then a problem about this. I was flying over the alps towards Milano at 12000 ft. Still well within the mountanious area I was given a descend to 6000 ft. That would result in flying directly into a mountain. I was descending at 1000 ft/min in the F1 Beech Baron 58.A slower rate might have cleared me over the mountain but shouldn't there be good marginals? And why not waiting with the descent until I get closer to the edge of the alps?

Hi,Controllers control aircraft movements - not pilots ;-) Their plan is to get you down to your Approach altitude 40 miles from the arrival airport.If you're flying to a mountainous area then you must check NOTAMS and you will be allowed to descend only when you deem it safe to do so. Milan is a classic case of staying high until you're clear of the Alps.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi,I would also like to add my two pence worth on this. I am cruising along at FL380 and 50-80 miles ahead on the magenta track line is the green TD marker. Then you get 'descend to FL...'. Now in the busy North American and European environment there is probably a very good reason for this if you want to get on the ground today. However in the rest of the world MOST of the time the phrase; 'When ready descend to ...' would be far more appropriate, assuming RC knows what traffic is around. I am currently crossing southern and central Africa in B737, and for the most part the skies are empty, as I would expect enroute, but I consistently get 50 odd miles before the TD maker, 'Descend to ...'Just a thought,Neil B

you can always ask for a PD clearance after the initial descent clearance. that is exactly what it is there forjd

JD, I will try that, but is there aparameter in your code that can identify if there is an aircraft ahead that will conflict? Maybe in .5 you might consider this as it is what RW ATC's do when circumstances allow.Neil B

as ray said. atc doesn't care what you're burn rate, or what you're fmc says is the optimal point of descent. they do to a point, but they are just as anxious to get you out of their stratum, or their sector.this descent point is going to vary by aircraft, and other conditions. they calculations i have, have to work for all planes, all conditions, and has worked/satisfied most people for going on 10 years.all that being said, we knew that we couldn't make everybody happy all the time. that is why the 3-pd option is there for the initial descent.now if otto has the comms, he's going to take the descent clearance. you actually have to be flying and talking to be able to utilize that optionjd