Sign in to follow this  
markadeane

Speed instructions on approach

Hi all,I assume this isn't featured yet, as I haven't seen it, but will the next version of RC include instructions to adjust airspeed on approach to maintain separation? For example if a turboprop was on finals and I'm in a 737 I could get an instruction to 'reduce to approach speed'. If the situation was reversed could I be asked to 'maintain xxx knots until x miles from the runway'.I've heard such instructions being issued, and I know that within RC I have had aircraft ahead of me on final that have been a little too close for comfort. Just a thought anyway!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

As an assist in maintaining seperation on final make sure in the RC Options page Interact with AI is checked. RC should be speeding up AI in front and slowing AI behind a bit when you are on final to avoid overruns.Some of us use AI Smooth V1.12 to aid in AI approach seperation which starts its activity further out than RC so the approach environment regarding AI seperation is a bit more friendly. It is freeware and available here:http://www.sg-flightware.de/Your idea of expediting landing requests, slowing requests, etc., is a good one. Right now you will get speed restrictions as you enter the final stages of approach.Do a search on AI Smooth or AISmooth in this forum and you'll find a few comments. There is an option to turn on ATC voice in this but I keep it off to avoid interference with RC transmissions.In the real world in your example case the turbo-prop might be asked to speed up and expedite its landing since in that case there would be probably runway length requirements to spare whereas yours already might be slowed to a safe IAS above your Vref. Once between I believe at the outer marker or FAF the aircraft on final has the say whether it can comply with ATC speed requests since the IAS Vref is dependent dynamicly on current aircraft parameters of landing weight, etc. RC assumes you are on the correct profile for your current conditions.It helps to be situational aware by having a TCAS on your panel so you can pace yourself. In listening to the comms on final if you are number one you might even consider landing a tad faster and using minimal braking actions (braking, spoiler drag, reverse thrust) to roll out faster on the runway if that gets you to a taxiing point closer to your intended gate at the far end of the runway, traffic permitting.