Sign in to follow this  
Guest deanos63

Approach?

Guest deanos63

hio all,i'm stil;l getting used to this radar contact malarky.Just a few questions,When i am heading towards my destination airport, the controller asks me if i have listend to the ATIS and i press confirm, he then says i can expect my ILS runway, flight plan terminated contact tower. I then get handed off to the control tower and they talk, and i ask require IAP runway 3 ILS, they then respond with maintain (alt) until initial runway 3 approach. (Or something along those lines) i then proceed and i normally pass straight over the airport i'm supposed to be landing at? is this correct? i thought they were supposed to guide you around the tell you to interceot the ILS?Am i missing something?

Guest daniel.alm

If you request an IAP you're on your own. If you want guidance, DON'T request an IAP.

Guest deanos63

ah, i see! What does IAP stand for? How do i request guidance if for some reason or another i need to?cheer for the fast response

Guest daniel.alm

IAP is "Instrument Approach Procedure", meaning that you'll be using your charts for altitude restrictions, headings etc. That's why you're on your own, RC4 assumes you request it because you know what you're doing ;) . If you don't request an IAP you'll automatically get guidance to the localizer, getting headings and altitude restrictions. Cheers,Daniel

Guest cirurgiao

I got myself jeppesen cds (3) that covers all regions with charts. There are many, many airports with approaches & departures procedures.It would be interesting if you get one of these flight planners so you can plan your flight from the airport of departure to the airport of destination. I use FSNav (v4.70) which needs FS9 to be running. It is said that FSBuild doesn't need FS9 running which would be better so you could plan your flight without go to FS9 every time you want to make a flight plan. I'm tempted to try it soon.Eduardo

Guest deanos63

yeah ok , but if you accidently ask for IAP then how can you reverse that and get it back to a guidance approach??cheers

Guest deanos63

wow! a response from JD the man him self! thanks, can i have you send me signed photo?? your my hero!thanks JD!and thanks for everyone else's responses!By the way what does JD stand for?

my picture is on the web site. and the meaning of JD should be obvious from my name :-)jd