Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

Flying in the face of AI

The other day, while flying into Honolulu Int'l (PHNL) I requested a different runway from that given by the approach controller which was granted. However, while I was descending on late finals, reaching DH I saw coming along the runway towards me on a take-off run a heavy (767 or similar)! Luckily he rotated well before my t/down point and cleared me by about 200ft but why was I cleared to land on the opposite end of what was clearly the active? A full FAA investigation has been started! ;-) Iain

that's what happens when you choose the opposite end of the assigned runway. i pick the runways based on what the ai are doing. change the runway at your risk, of body and license :-)

>that's what happens when you choose the opposite end of the>assigned runway. i pick the runways based on what the ai are>doing. change the runway at your risk, of body and license>:-)Fair enough jd but should I have been given clearance to use that runway? Surely, in RL, the request would be refused? :-) Iain

yes, in the RL, it surely would have been refused.but how frustrated would you have been to fly for 2 hours, so you can fly a scenic approach into an airport, only to be given the wrong runway. you desperately want to fly/land on that runway, and rc keeps refusing you.so a compromise has to be made. give the user/pilot what he wants.why did you request a different runway, just so i understand the thought processes?jd

One way to avoid this is if you use Active Sky - on finals refresh AI and you'll be on the ground before any ai reach the runway.

>why did you request a different runway, just so i understand>the thought processes?It was partly due to RL - I was running out of time as I had to go out but wanted to complete the flight rather than save what would have been a small final piece. There was hardly any wind,about 3 or 4 kts, so that wasn't a governing factor and the runway I selected, 4R, gave me a straight-in approach so saving time, whereas the runway initially assigned, 22L, would have involved extra vectoring. Also 4R has an ILS while 22L doesn't. :-) Iain

>One way to avoid this is if you use Active Sky - on finals>refresh AI and you'll be on the ground before any ai reach the>runway.Thanks Bill. I use AI but had never explored this feature. I suppose I should RTM! :-) Iain

Or for those that don't own AS6 but are registered owners of FSUIPC assign a button to toggle the traffic.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It helps to have a TCAS gauge installed on your aircraft. There are several freeware ones around some of which will self-register with FSUIPC. I use payware gauges from Reality-XP for some aircraft. These show you the AI positions giving you situational awareness of what they are doing so you can make an informed decision whether an opposite runway to that suggested is a wise choice. Another option is that if Interact with AI is checked in RC you should be hearing approach talk to other aircraft in the vicinity that are inbound.Another option if weather and runway conditions permit might be a cross runway which could shorten your approach a bit. Be careful though as some airports use a cross runway for departure and the other for arrival if the airport scenery (via AFCAD) has been set up like that.

Guest cirurgiao

Hi, RonI think I've posted a question about how to get a TCAS. Can you give me some tips?ThanksEduardo

Guest cirurgiao

Hi, RayHow to do this with fsuipc? I'm a registered user (v3.65).Eduardo

Hi Eduardo,Bring up the FSUIPC screen and select the Buttons and Switched tab. Press a spare button on your yoke and click "Select for FS Control" and from the drop-down box select "Traffic Density Toggle". Enter a Parameter of 0 and choose OK.When you press the button it will toggle the traffic from your current setting to 0 and a second press will togle it back to the original value.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

A lot of payware airliner types have TCAS integrated with the navigation display. The PMDG 737NG 600-700 does not unless you also upgrade or buy the solo CD package for the -800/-900 which will upgrade the -600/-700 adding panel features.There are also some freeware ones available in the libs here at AVSIM with different styles and reporting info. Search on TCAS and radar.I use the payware Reality-XP set of add-on suites on many freeware panels. The Jetline suites both offer an integrated TCAS on the ND. One of the Sandels for smaller aircraft also offers one.I have not tried it but a freeware "radar" gauge written in XML was just added to the libs here.Depending on the TCAS style it will show a diamond shapped target colored to indicate the hazard significance to you. Altitude of the target is shown as the difference in 100s of feet from your altitude and if they are climbing toward you or descending away from you...RC if you have Interact With AI checked in options will call traffic alerts to you when they get within a certain range. A typical TCAS is good to 40 miles out and assists in determining AI trends by showing you the lateral and vertical movement. This aids in determing a course of action for avoidance and in the case of departures and arrivals helps you to adjust your speed to maintain seperation.