Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

SIDS & STARS with RC

Quick Question:I just read the article in computer pilot on Radar Contact. I am considering buying it but wanted to know - does R.C. support SIDS & STARS? In other words, will it actually ask me to Fly the X SID or the Y STAR? I am looking for a product that will specifically do this because I fly the PMDG 737, and not having this option in the FS9 ATC is rally unrealistic. Can anyone answer my question? Thanks,Chris Catalano

it won't be called X or Y.star's end at the first contact with approach. departure procedures can be entered into the flight plan, and rc will expect you to fly the dp as filed.alsohttp://www.jdtllc.com/FAQ.htm#12and the tutorial write ups will give you better flavor of what you can expectjd

Guest cirurgiao

HiI think JD will give you the best answer. As a RC supporter I just can tell you something:RC is terrific, so much that after just a flight (would be better to use one of these flight planner - FSNavigator v4.70 or FSBuild v2.2) you will never, ever, let it go. You just feel like a real pilot, obeying orientations as your flight goes.But as you become an affictionate you want more things and then goes money, since you will want a weather program (Active Sky v6 / FSMeteo v7).Just the same RC is a MUST.Eduardo

Most flight planners for FS9 including FS Build (which I prefer) and FS Nav I believe maintain databases of SIDS (DPs now in the US) and STARS. When you export them to FS9 .pln format which RC uses, these are converted to a series of waypoints that comprise the DP/STAR.For departure if your first waypoint is 30 nm or less from the airport center, you will get a clearance of fly as filed on take-off for the DP portion. If it is more than that you will get vectors that will eventually put you on a heading for your first waypoint after which you will be instructed to resume your own navigation (which means fly direct to that first waypoint). The small display transparent window that RC uses will have your next waypoint and heading to it displayed. You can elect to follow your own departure procedure as well if you wish to fly your FMC RNAV route.Similarly for arrival, if the STAR waypoints are included in your plan, RC will follow them until about 40 nm out when you will be contacted by approach with expect vectors to runway xxx. At that time you can elect to navigate on your own by selecting an IAP and follow the RNAV on your FMC.There are other options available for both that give flexibility.RC does not announce any DP/SID, STAR, or waypoint name. It does announce or phoeneticly spell out your destination airport in your original clearance in this version.

Guest cirurgiao

Hi, RonTerrific and very "teaching" lecture you just gave!!!!Every time I see ronzie in this forum I open it just to learn something more.Eduardo

Hi Ron:I never used FS build (or any other flight planner except the default). With FS build, will it actually suggest a SID and a STAR for a given route, or do you still have to figure out which one would be the most suitable all on your own (I never know which ones to select which is the original reason for me genereating this post). Also, if I do use Radar Contact with a SID/STAR route generated from FS build, since the waypoints of the DP/STAR are actually incorporated into the current flight plan, do I still select the SID and STAR in the FMC, or is there no need to select the SID STAR in the PMDG 737 FMC any more since it is already encoded as waypoints into the flight plan?Lastly - since I never tried this - what are the major advantages of using FS build as opposed to the regular default flight planner in FS9?Thanks,Chris

FS Build as some other planners has an auto-generate feature where all you do is out in a departure and destination (includfing expected runways), adjust your aircraft profile, (activate AS6 weather if you have it so it can do fuel planning as well,) and it will generate a routes using its database of SIDs, STARS, and airways. Below the route grid window is a map of your route. It sometimes goofs and picks an inappropriate waypoint but you can edit it out from the route window or the grid window (set preferences to "BUILD" from the grid instead of the route window). The grid shows each waypoint of a SID, STAR, and airway. It is easier than it sounds.There is also included a large database of existing plans included most from contributors.Go to www.fsbuild.com. On the lower left pane choose Tutorials and one of them shows all the windows available and adjust your route.FSB besides exporting to FS9 formats as used by RC and the default GPSs as well as some third party GPS systems, also exports to many FMC formats such as used by PMDG where the route can be loaded into the FMC for navigation guidance and display and AP control.The regular default planner does not have these extended routing features to my knowledge.I could write several pages on this. It is best to look at the fsbuild web site. Other planners are available but my preference was this because it ties in with weather programs and can run without FS running for preflight planning. You do not run it while you are flying since it does not have a usable moving map which is usually not needed because of other cockpit gauges.

Hi Ron:I am just finishing the reading the Radar Contact Manual. I fly the PMDG 737 series. Can I ask you something you might know? I read the section in the manual about holding patterns. I am really comfortable in setting up a holding pattern in my FMC as long as it is based on a fix. I know how to do that. But in the RC manual on page 54, it says I may be asked to perform a hold at a preset DISTANCE from a fix (it says "cleared to the Memphis zero-five-five radial, four zero mile fix, hold northeast.") I know how to do a hold once I get to KMEM, but how do I program the FMC to perform the hold at 40 DME from KMEM? The FMC only seems to allow me to select the FIX (KMEM) the radial (055), the length of the pattern (20 miles for example) and right (or left) turns. How do I specify the 40 mile offset that this hold is supposed to take place at? Am I supposed to just eye it on my FMC, and when I get to the 40 DME, initiate the hold? Any ideas? I'll also post on the PMDG forum to see what the folks there say in case you don't fly the PMDG series.Thanks.Chris Catalano

See my reply to you similar post above and also the replies to your post on the PMDG folrum.I'll give a quick recap here:In the FMC you create a "soft" waypoint in this case using place, bearing, distance. This waypoint will be placed onto your LEGS page where you can LSK it and create a hold at it.The exact details I don't recall but it is in the FMC guide.By the way, there is a MEM VOR which RC would say Memphis, its name, on the field and that is your anchor waypoint for creating the soft fix, not KMEM.

Guest jumpjet

Just to add a little to what's already been said.Without going to the other forum to see if this has been answered, you would create a FIX/BEARING/DISTANCE waypoint.In this case you would enter into the FMC scratchpad - MEM/055/40 - Then click the LSK next to MEM, this will shift the MEM waypoint down one and create a new waypoint probably called MEM01(zero,one), or similarYou can now enter your HOLD details based around this new FIX/WAYPOINT (MEM01)Graham

Guest Kingair315

Ive been using FSNav to create my flight plans since before RC existed, and would not be using the FS without it. It uses a data file for STARS, etc and you can update it yourself or use the latest downloadable updates. This may help you.