Sign in to follow this  
neilbradley1

Radar Vectoring

JD,In the non US environment when being vectored for an IAP, RC controllers use the phrase 'FLY HEADING ...' exclusively. I have on occasion been given a heading that is basically the reciprocal of the heading I am currently flying. This then brings up the question of which way will I turn? Mostly this is obvious from the ND and a pilots situational awareness. However in the RW it means the controller has no control over which way the aircraft turns, left or right. My experience (Australia) has been that 'FLY HEADING ...' is only used to get an aircraft to take up a heading that approximates its current direction of flight and the ATC does not know actual eading the aircraft is flying. After that it is ALWAYS 'TURN LEFT/RIGHT HEADING ...'. Allowed ICAO phraseology.I would recommend that this be considered for RC5.Neil BradleyYPAD

if you are told to fly a heading opposite of the heading you are flying, it means that you missed a checkpoint. you're going to need to fly a little closer to those checkpoints to get credit for themyour suggestion is already on the list for v5. and a new behavior for when you miss a checkpoint. you'll still be yelled at the end for not flying your flight plan.for now, when you are told to fly a reciprocal heading, simply ask for direct checkpoint to a checkpoint in front of youand don't miss that one :-)jd

JD,I accept the case of a missed waypoint, but I have had the situation occur in 'normal' flight in the approach environment. My familiarity with the ATC system has meant that I have turned the 'right' way, but it leaves the door open for those just beginning.NeilYPAD

7110.65 para 5-6-2:PHRASEOLOGY-TURN LEFT/RIGHT HEADING (degrees).FLY HEADING (degrees).FLY PRESENT HEADING.DEPART (fix) HEADING (degrees). also..:When initiating a vector, advise the pilot of the purpose. PHRASEOLOGY-VECTOR TO (fix or airway).VECTOR TO INTERCEPT (name of NAVAID) (specified) RADIAL.VECTOR FOR SPACING.VECTOR TO FINAL APPROACH COURSE,or if the pilot does not have knowledge of the type of approach,VECTOR TO (approach name) FINAL APPROACH COURSE. These seem to be missing from the scripts.

Dan Downs KCRP

sorry i forgot to answer that question. adding left and right is on the v5 listjd