Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

Cannot upgrade to 4.2

Just got RC last night. I got it running. I already got a key code to launch the program. I successfully updated to 4.1. But, I get an error message when trying to run the exe to update to 4.2. I installed it on my external (non-root directory) hard-drive. This is the error message I get:C:Documents and settingsMY NAMELocal settingsTempRCV3.dat was not found. RC cannot continue. I know since it is not installed on my root directory that I will have to get a new key code to launch the updated 4.2 program, but I can't even get that far to update it in the first place. Any ideas?Chris Catalano

sounds like you are trying to run 4.2 from a temp directory. you are supposed to unzip the .exe in the zip file into the rcv4 directory. then run 4.2 from the rcv4 directoryjd

Hi ChrisI got the same error message at first attempt. It seems that you need to put the update EXE file in your RC4 folder (overwriting the existing one)It seems, like you, I didn't need to do this with 4.1 - this only needs to be done with the 4.2 upgrade. And like you my RC4 folder is not on my main c drive.However I got the new registration key required very quickly, as always!Hope this helps.RegardsMark

Guest cirurgiao

A new key isn't needed if you have v4.01 and upgrade it to 4.2 unless you make a new install. The common trouble is that v4.2 is a zip file (really the v4.2 exe and all that is necessary is to unzip it to your main RC folder and overwrite the v4.01 exe). RC can be installed in the C root or in a 2nd HD.Hope it helps.Eduardo

Actually, a new key is needed if your installation is on a hard-drive that is not the root directory hard drive (i.e. your C drive). The message was indeed generated because I did not extract the .zip file to overwrite the 4.1 exe file that was already present. I tried that last night, got my new key sent to me, and all is well now. Now I have 4.2.Thanks everyone.Chris Catalano