Sign in to follow this  
downscc

Waiting for Next Major Release

Hi Al,<>Direct distance.<I'm not sure. JD is best equipped to answer this. My guess is that it's a random factor. Remember that if you request the IAP option you will be cleared immediately to the approach altitude leaving you free to descend as you wish.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>Direct distance.>Remember that if you request the IAP option you will be cleared immediately to the approach altitude leaving you free to descend as you wish.Great... Building a new FP now to give this all a shot. Thanks...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest mmcevilley

>Ah, now I get it... When I'm cruising, enter a fix in the>FMC 40nm out from the airport. I assume this should work 40nm>from the RWY fix at the end of the plan in the FMC? I didn't>think about that. This could be done way ahead of time so I'm>not fumbling with the FMC during a more hectic portion of the>flight. What is the thumb-rule, 11K westbound and 13K>eastbound, based on approach direction from the active?I'd suggest 45nm from DESTINATION. That allows you time to first get down and then to "slow down". Also, keep a check on winds at the airport - if you are going to be landing in the opposite direction from which you are approaching the airport, RC is gonna want you at 12000, not 11000. I usually create the 45nm from DEST waypoint and set 11000, my TOD is calculated based on that. Then, when center tells me what they want, I adjust accordingly. Works EVERY time!Oh yeah, do note that at high altitude airports (e.g., KDEN), you will be expected to be at 15000 rather than 11000 or 12000.-michael

I have not done this but preflight after your route is loaded into the FMC follow the procedure to put a 45 nm range ring araound destination. With your ND in plan mode you could advance it (step) to see where the ring crossed your route and create a soft fix with altitude restriction there. There is probably an existing waypoint near where the range crosses to base your PBD softfix reference or maybe an existing waypoint is close enough to place the altitude restriction at.Remember to set your MCP altitude to the crossing restriction altitude so as you cross the softfix VNAV will not continue the descent until you reduce the MCP altitude. At some point you'll probably go with FLCH to meet the rapid responses close in.You also have the option of in flight taking V/S control and watching the dynamic descent prediction rings showing where you'll reach the required altitude (MCP set) and compare it to the range ring you entered around destination if you don't want to program a soft fix.

Thanks everyone. Performed a flawless VNAV descent from KMIA to KORD in the PMDG 747. I pre-programmed in a crossing restriction of 42nm @ 250/11K and then adjusted it up to 280/12K when it was evident that I was coming in from the "far-side." VNAV prfoile with destination-winds was online all the way down the full-ILS approach, presetting my speeds all the way in. :) I have to get a little better at my PBD fixes but it worked as advertisd. The only quirk I found was in FSBuild2, when forcing the ORD VOR within 5nm of KORD destination as a final fix, it kept erasing my STAR in the plan prior to "building" the plan. I dropped the STAR for this trip but there must be work-around for this issue.I can say I definitly learned something new today. Now it's time for a beer and to watch my Eagles in the first NFL game of the season tonight. Thanks again:-walksmile

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Hi Al,That's great. This thread should be used as a guide for others. Glad you're enjoying RC4 to the full. Enjoy the game! :-beerchug Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

kind of funny how we ended up, considering where we started :-)that's the way it works around here.jd

Guest mmcevilley

>I pre-programmed in a crossing>restriction of 42nm @ 250/11K and then adjusted it up to>280/12K when it was evident that I was coming in from the>"far-side." Sounds like you got the hang of it! ;-)One other suggestion: there is no need to be at 250KIAS at 11000. You can be slower. That makes it a bit easier to slow down and make the descent until lined up for final. The PMDG 747 is not that big a deal because it has a fair amount of drag. But, it is very difficult to slow the LDS 767 when starting down from 11000 @ 250KIAS. Give it a try ...>I can say I definitly learned something new today. Now it's>time for a beer and to watch my Eagles in the first NFL game>of the season tonight. Thanks againThe Eagles were on TV tonight?? I'm down in Northern VA - I was watching my METS smack your Phillies around - 8-1 final!But, regarding the Eagles, my wife's god-son is Dexter Wynn. This is his third year. Because of him I actually cheer for a Philly team! ;-)-michael

Yup, confirmed this last night. The range-ring does help as well. Using the "Fix" button on the FMC, enter your destination airport and upselect it to LSK1, then upselect /45 (without a preceding bearing) to LKS1 and it does draw a nice 45nm circle around your destination. You can then see perfectly just where your plan crosses the rang-ring and where to program in the 45nm fix. I had played around with this feature before but never found it to be really useful, until now.:-beerchug

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest mmcevilley

>Michael,>>>I actually cheer for a Philly team!>>Shouldn't you be cheering for the 'Skins??? Even I cheer for>them (even though I now live in Cowboys country).>I may live in the Wash Metro area, but I am from Brooklyn NY. I cheer for the METS as my dad followed the Bklyn Dodgers and NY Giants, and the METS are their successor (Blue from Dodgers/Orange from Giants).As for football, I am an Oakland Raiders fan because they played football in the 60's the way we played "2-hand touch" in the streets of NYC: snap, drop back, go long! ;-)-michael

There is a work-around (at least it is in their FAQ) to have more control over waypoint builds.In one of the options somewhere you can instruct it to build from the route grid instead of using the route window. The first build from the route window will populate the route grid. At this point you can modify each waypoint in the grid including adding new ones. On your next build it will do it from your edited grid. Don't forget the DPs and STARs are converted to waypoints in the grid. Without the preference of using the grid, the grid would be repopulated each time from processing the route window.So it is stated . . .

Thanks a bunch. As a matter of fact, I will give it a shot in a few minutes.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest mmcevilley

>There is a work-around (at least it is in their FAQ) to have>more control over waypoint builds.Under "BUILD OPTIONS" -> "Build from Route Waypoint/Table Grid"It toggles - so you must remember to disable it when you don't wish to use it. I've used it on occasion - works as advertised.-michael

Yup, it does work michael. You have to "build" once to separate the STAR into individual waypoints and then toggle on "Build from Route Waypoint/Table Grid". Then, add your VOR within 5nm of your destination and "build" again. Used this method for the first time last night and it does work.Back on the PMDG FMC topic, I also learned last night that to add a 45nm waypoint from the destination VOR is especially easy using the "fix" range-ring method described earlier in this thread, but with a twist. For example, upon arrival to Honolulu (PHNL) with the VOR HNL set as the final waypoint, add the "HNL" VOR in the FMC "fix" page with "/45" as the distance (leaving out the bearing preceding the slash). It will automatically calculate the bearing to your flight-path at 45nm and of course, add the range-circle. What I found new last night is, if you downselect the bearing-range from the "fix" page to the scratchpad, 052/45 in this case, and then upselect it to the legs page, it will permenently stick the new HNL01 waypoint in your flight-plan, right where it crosses the range-ring displayed in the FMC. You can then even delete the HNL01 entry from the "fix" page and the HNL01 waypoint will still exist on the "legs" page as a valid waypoint 45nm from the HNL VOR, now without the range-ring displayed. This way, you don't have to manually calculate the bearing 45nm out, where it crosses your flight-plan. Worked like a champ.:-yellow1

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE