Sign in to follow this  
Guest CowlFlapsOpen

Departure Procedures with Alt restrictions

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

I thought I understood this but could use a clarification:I created a flight plan departing KONT today. The first waypoint was Gorman VOR (GMN) abut 70nm northeast. I did this because I wanted to depart using a departure procedure and GMN is one of the waypoints exiting the DP. So the route was:KONT (POM GASKI KELSE) GMN ...etc (brackets were not included in the flight plan in RC but were the waypoints on the DP)On the controller menu I selected Dep Proc Alt Restrictions. There is a crossing restriction at GASKI -- "stay below 9000'. I chose Alt Restriction because I knew I would need to level off at 9000 for a time before resuming my climb to FL200 to meet this altitude restriction. My understanding is was that Alt Restric option means I will not be nagged to keep climbing nor required to make a direct vector to GMN. Yet when I leveled off to stay below 9000', RC went crazy and kept saying I was busting my altitude. I've run into this before when I want to level off for a time to comply with a DP at other airports. Have I misunderstood something?

dep procedures with altitude restrictions means you follow the controllers altitude instructions.you want no altitude restrictionsjd

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

Oh! I see. Duh! I thought "Alt restrictions" refered to whether the published DP itself had altitude restrictions, but instead it means whether the controller IMPOSES altitude restrictions. Gee, really read this closely and still mixed it up. I think the reference to flexible departure procedures led me astray, since it is attached to Alt rest and not No Altitude Rest. Thanks.