Sign in to follow this  
Guest radical3435

tutorial from kdsm-kord

Guest radical3435

hi,can you tell me info controller setup. the tutorial from kdsm to kord says that you inter the alternate icao code kmsp .can you tell me how to find the right alternate for the departure and arrival or can you explan how its works and what it is used for.many thanks rob

it's usually an airport not too far away, but far enough away to possibly have better weather. or maybe better equipmentfor instance, i regularly fly from kbhm to kfty. katl is an alternate, since you could conceivably do a cat iii landing there, where that would be impossible at kfty.also different airports have different minimums, so one airport may be reporting below minimums, but another airport nearby may have different minimums, and you can land there.i'll see if i can get our real world dispatcher to chime in herejd

Guest radical3435

hi jdthanks for the super quick reply . yes that would be great m8 if you could do that.many thanks again rob

can you tell me how to find the right alternate for the departure and arrival or can you explan how its works and what it is used for
Greetings Rob,REG FOR DESTINATION ALTERNATES: http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part121-619-FAR.shtmlSeveral factors need to be considered when selecting your alternate airport. Some that may influence your decision on whether to use a particular airport for an ALT would include but not necessarily be limited to:Fuel Burn to AlternateEn route wx between destination and alternateKnown ATC delays at the alternate airportAvailability of a suitable instrument approachPassenger handling capabilityFor airline use, that airport would also need to be an "approved" airport in section C70 of the airline's operations specifications. That airport would also need to meet alternate airport forecast weather minimums. Airlines use the "ONE NAV" and "TWO NAV" method to derive alternate minimums to determine dispatch legality. ONE NAV RULE: Add 400 feet to the lowest applicable Category I MDA or DH. The result is the minimum ceiling you need forecast at your ETA at your alternate in order to be able to legally file it as such. Now add 1 statute mile to the lowest applicable Category I landing minimum. The result is the minimum visibility you need forecast at your ETA at your alternate in order to be able to legally file it as such. TWO NAV RULE: Of the two IAPs with the lowest minimums, you must select the one with the HIGHER MDA/DH and HIGHER minimum landing visibility. (You will criss-cross with two different approaches if one has a higher MDA/DH and the other has a higher minimum landing visibility.) Then add 200 feet to the higher DH and