Sign in to follow this  
majapahit

A reminder of the need of a ATC Text Log - F10 fs9 styl...

I really want to make the case - again perhaps - for a Kneeboard style ATC Command Log.I have seen several entries on the Forum hinting at such for a 'solution' that would greatly improve workability of RC4.I am not a native english speaker, and I've noticed, many users here aren't either.And, I can recall a Junior Pilot friend of mine, long ago in his training stage, that he had AWFULL problems, getting used to Radio Transmitted ATC (at EHAM, we, I, cheat, by talking Dutch in between, like real life actually).And, after using Vatsim several times now, I think I know where the Problem lies.Having English Expatriates in a Conversation in the Dutch Language, I can remember, these folks were - after so many years in Holland - , fluent in Dutch Conversation. BUT, as a joke, as a test, when we started 'mumbling', and speak 'really fast', all of their understanding of this Indian Version of the Dutch language, dissipated in perplexed dumbfoundednese. Great fun off course.A similar dumbfoundedness I find rather not so hilarious, when I use RC4. I would like RC4 to be a supporting tool for understanding ATC flying.The - and rather realistic and natural indeed - ATC mumbling & grumbling over a distorted airwave modulation, great imitation indeed, but a Big Nuisance if you're Not A Native English Speaker. It's INCOMPREHENSIBLE.And perhaps rather just like Vatsim operators, when I fly a USA based Air Corridor. And off course I will request and be granted Consideration from These, and such very sporty - and also real and through emphasized dictum - delivered indeed.So, please, RC4 team, a running log of ATC conversation - and INCLUDING Otto's conversation. So that, like my Dutch pilot friend, we can get used to Radio ATC, and really by learning to recognize a really UnEnglish type of English, for that is, what it is.THXmtHolland

Intel 2500K | AMD 7970 | Win7x64 | 16GB | TV 40" | Touchscreen 22" | HOTAS | Rudder | MCP | FFB Joystick | FSX-SE | Prepar3D | DSC A10

>that's why display text is one of the options on the options>page>>jdDisplay Text - a not what this message is about.A Kneeboard-like Radio-Log is completely different and adds to a Scrolling Text Option.Scrolling Text is an absolute Necessity to Non_English speakers, without this, many would not even be able to fly ATC (like me).A Kneeboard_like log, will be an Educational Tool that is Extremely Useful to Review and Understand ATC English Speak and Procedure.He, Otto? What did you just say?THXmt

Intel 2500K | AMD 7970 | Win7x64 | 16GB | TV 40" | Touchscreen 22" | HOTAS | Rudder | MCP | FFB Joystick | FSX-SE | Prepar3D | DSC A10

not sure i understand, stilldo you want a transcript, available after a flight, for you to read at your leisure, or do you want something real time, as you fly?jd

>not sure i understand, stillCould this be that you know the program(ming) too well.If someone can react/answer ATC almost blindly (like I hear experienced Vatsimmers do, and real Pilots and ATC's off course can)I can imagine you cannot fathom the difficulties of the learning curve.And as I gave the example of my Pilot friend, especially for non native english speakers, this curve is STEEP.We don't only have to comprehend the Procedure (seems the easier part, really), we also have to learn this ATC language, that hardly compares with regular English (and you have to take my word for this)>>do you want a transcript, available after a flight, for you to>read at your leisure, or do you want something real time, as>you fly?>>jdreal time / like FS9 Kneeboardso one can review after takeoff, and any moment in between / and be able to analyze whats going on _being able to read this in text is necessary- with FS9 regular ATC I used this all the time every time / also and that's when I found out FS9 ATC is flawed, enter RC4- and not having to wait until after a flight (that could take several hours every time, right)- and not to forget OTTO, for Otto being the Perfect Bot, one can check what one is supposed to be doing / what he is hearing, and what you think one oneself is hearing / his reaction to procedure, so one then is enabled to compare with what one thought one was hearing. - In Text, for Text is as clear as crystal, and can then be used as a learning tool, and in a real time log.For the ATC, and a real imitation indeed of real ATC, but RC4 must be a learning Tool also, and not an exercise for professional pilots, and Vatsimmer at irregular hours?THXmt

how about a seperate window, with everything that has been said, scrollable? you might have to have dual monitors, or size it appropriately and put it somewhere on your paneljd

>how about a seperate window, with everything that has been>said, scrollable? you might have to have dual monitors, or>size it appropriately and put it somewhere on your panel>>jdsounds right / and better the F10 kneeboard: a sizable window!have used ADVDISP with the SHOWTEXT through Widefs on my Laptop /cleans the FS9 screen indeed / that's about the idea of the output window- content - important - would be like FS9 kneeboard radio log- and OTTO's dialog included alsodearest Otto, he would be a lot more educational even, if only I could look up what he was doingTHXmt