Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

NOTAMS and MSA

I wanted to make sure I'm clear on these.NOTAMS refers to areas with high terrain etc, but it is the airport itself, or an area surrounding. When setting my MSA, what area does that cover? Say like Mexico City MMMX. MMMX sits about 7,000ft but there mountains around it that go to about 11,000. So would my MSA for MMMX be set then for something like 13,000?Thanks

Guest Segwin

>yes. the highest point within 20 miles of the airport>>jdJD:Where would one go to get this informantion?

Guest follker

Approach plates have your MSA for the IAF listed on the plate, in graphical form depicting the various MSAs for the various directions of interecpt for that IAF, and then a profile decent for the rest of the approach. Would be hard to explain in words, but very very easy to understand when looking at it.Your IFR charts will have MEA (Min Enroute Alt) and OROCA (Off Route Obstruction Clearance Alt) printed on the chart itself. Look on the legend for information about these. *nb OROCA is exactly like a VFR sectional chart MSA, with a facny name.Hope this helps.John