Sign in to follow this  
fablarto

Runway Choice

Hi there,Is it actually common for a commmercial pilot to ask to take off on a runway different from that assigned by ATC? I sometimes use this feature in RC4 when I am assigned a runway that does not work with my filed DP and transition. Essentially, I'm just wondering how "real as it gets" is this situation?Thanks,Alden

It might be _requested_ of ATC at large airports to avoid excessive taxi or pattern work. It would have to be within aircraft runway operating limits with regard to weather (crosswind/head or tail wind) and at times of low traffic density that would permit deviating from the current flow.Late night, overnight, and early morning cargo arrivals and departures and military operations at co-op fields might do this where their facilities are stuck way out from the more commonly used runways. Of course the runways must be capable of bearing the aircraft weight.At some airports there are shorter lighter surfaced runways for GA use when heavies and GA reside at the same airport.At one cross runway airport real world I was arriving in a Piper Cherokee GA assigned to almost no crosswind favored runway when tower asked me expedite landing due to either a regional jet or big regional turbo-prop close behind. Since the wind was very light I requested a break out with a circle-to-land on the cross runway which would allow the regional to land and be out of my way when I reached the runway intersection. Tower was thankful as was the turbo-prop. (I was VFR by the way.)

Yes, Concorde departures from Heathrow, invariably used 27L to remove the noise interferance from flying over the London Area.

Dave Taylor gb.png