Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

Weird vectors at EGLL

Everything great enroute from KMIA-EGLL. At 45 mi out from Heathrow I get my ATIS, etc. I'm now due west of the field. I'm vectored to heading 205 and told to maintain FL 120. The recording to maintain FL120 keeps repeating until I'm 60 miles south and well over the Channel. Nothing changes. RC seems to think I'm not at the right altitude. Finally I buck the system and turn back. RC doesn't like that. I finally did get a good vector to 27L and all was good from there and I was only 1 minute late from the real life schedule. Not too shabby. Did I read there was some issue at Heathrow? Or was I just too impatient. 60 miles south seemed a bit out of the ordinary and I had no wx holds. Should I have just waited?Thanks

what is your altimeter setting as you reached egll? when flying outside the united states, you only set the altimeter to the local settings below the transition level of the arrival airport, not 18000jd

Oh I forgot about that. I think it was something like 30.58 but I did an altimeter check at 18000. oops. ok, then. And where is the transition level of the airport found?

when you launch rc, the first thing displayed in the display window is departure and arrival transition levelsand you can always tell by the clearance. you were probably cleared to FL120, not 12000. if you hear "FL" you better still be on standard pressurewelcome to flying outside the USA :-)jd

Hi Speedbyrd,With a callsign like that I'd expect you to be familiar with UK procedures :-hahWhen flying in Europe remember you will be given pressure readings in hectopascals AKA millibars, not inches.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

<>You've hidden most of your profile so unfortunately I can't see where in the world you live. Sometimes having access to that info is useful ;-)Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather