Sign in to follow this  

Problem with DirectX8.1 and Nvidia 29.42 Drivers

Need HELP from all you GURUS . . .This weekend I decided to update to the 29.42 drivers from the the 28.32 drivers installed during the Gainward GF4 TI 4200 normal install. My system is a P4, 1.7 Gig, 1 Gig DDR ram, running XP Home Edition. Also running Nview and 2 monitors - which function fine before and after the upgrade.After installation of the new drivers I tried to run a new 3DMark2001SE test to assess any improvement. 3DMark wouldn't run, reporting insufficient hardware configuration.I then ran DXDiag to see what might be wrong. DXDiag reports "no problems found" under all of the main tabs, and under Display#1 tab Direct3D is "enabled". I manually ran the D3D tests. The first test, using the DX7 compatible interface, runs OK. The second test, using the DX8 interface, won't run with a diagnostic of "failed at step 5 (GET DEVICE CAPS): H RESULT=0x8876086A". FS2K2 seems to run fine. The test also fails under the Display#2 tab.OK Good Folks . . . How about some Devine guidance ?Best Regards and TNX in advance.

Hi -Try re-installing DirectX - I think this allows DirectX to find the new graphics drivers, sometimes.Schofi

If you are going to reinstall DirectX8.1, make sure it is the one on your WinXP CD. The one on Window's update website is not compatible with WinXP.After updating the drivers to 29.42 and running DiagNostic, everything worked properly. I did however, remove the old driver from my system prior to installing the new drivers. I did this through Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. It automatically rebooted my computer and installed the WinXP default drivers. I then installed the new drivers via the executable.Are you sure NView works with the new drivers?

Thanks for the responses!How would I go about reinstalling DirectX from my WinXP CD?Thanks!

If you insert the CD, it should autorun and ask you if you want to install, recover/repair (?) WinXP.

Thanks all for the support. I'll try a few things.