Sign in to follow this  
rwy12

RC4 controller confused????????

HiCould some one shed some light on the following please.I planned a flight from EGLL to EGCC.About 40nm away from EGCC the controller asked me to head towards bearing 330,which I did immediately.Than for some strange reason it kept on repeating that I need to set my heading to 330-this went for about 10 minutes with at least 6-7mesages from contoller to change heading.All the time I had the correct 330 dialed in.looking forword to your commentsQas

Hi Qas,Quite coincidentally my last few flights have been between these two airports so I'm familiar with the approach to Manchester.Without seeing a log it's difficult to say what was going on. At 40 miles from EGCC you will probably been at FL120 and been asked to contact Approach who will have given you a heading to fly directly towards the airport. 330 sounds about right for an approach from the SE.Whilst you may have dialled a heading of 330 you usually need to press the Hdg button to engage Heading Hold. Otherwise the aircraft will stay in LNav mode assuming you were flying an aircraft that had this feature. Can you take a screenshot of the panel if you're able to reproduce this problem again. That will give me enough info to see what's happening.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

HiThanks for the quick help-I did press hdg select-I have the pmdg 747and the lnav went off when I did this.I will repeat this and send the panel view-this happened in both the pmdg 747 and 737.As you do this flight regularly I noticed that I was only about 15 miles away from the airport when RC4 told me to change direction to something like 55 0r 51-This took me on a route running parallel to runway 25RI find this very unusual-as in FS9 ATC you were always vectoredalong way away in line to landing runway.Is this usual in RC4 and real life-ie you fly direct to the airport and at about 20 miles you have to make approx two 90 degree turns toget on the rightside of the runway. Qas

Hi Qas,<>It sounds as though you did the right thing. What heading were you flying? Have a look at the deviation value for heading you have in Settings. Is it zero? That could cause the message even if you were off course by 1-2 degrees.The reason you were vectored to 055 was to fly the downwind leg. You would then be turned left to 330 (base leg) and then to 270 for the ILS intercept to 24R.<>Yes. Those approach headings are more in line with real world procedures than those of FS ATC are are commonly used throughout RC. It's known as the downwind leg (parallel to runway) and base leg (90 degrees to the runway).Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi RayMany thanks for all the help-I was wondering if you could help me with one more thing please-I am very new to simming and RC4.Could you tell me what IAP stands for and which option would you use for EGCC runway 24R.DO you have to choose any options or can you land with RC4 instructions as per the operator.Looking forward to your advise.Qas.

IAP stands for Instrument Approach Procedure and is used by Radar Contact to allow the user to fly a published approach procedure including a full STAR without intervention by RC. However, if you want to be vectored onto final approach by the Radar Contact approach controller, there is no need to select anything as this is the default procedure.Pete

Hi Qas,I see Pete has explained what an IAP is (thanks Pete) but you didn't mention if the heading issue is now resolved. Was it just a change to your deviation values?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Many thanks for the help guys.Ray I haven't been able to repeat the flight yet-but I had reduced mydeviation tolerance to 3degrees-I am sure this was the cause of the problem-I will try the flight again over the weekend and let you know what happened.Qas

Hi qas,<>I'd agree. I don't think you'll have any further problems with this issue.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather