Sign in to follow this  
Guest jps611

RC4 and Mountains

Guest jps611

Am I correct in guessing that RC4 does not care anything about mountains?I did a flight from SAEZ-SCEL and during the decent into SCEL, RC4 kept telling me to decend to flight level 12000ft. Problem was, the mountains around me were 15-16000ft high! The lower I went, the bigger those monuntains looked. lol.I finally had to disregard RC4 and by looking out the windows and using the moving map with FS Navigator, I managed to feel my way through the mountains, to make a beautiful approach and landing. The whole thing was made even worse because for some reason my FMC did not show any runways for SCEL.The fact that RC4 did not take those mountains into account, sure made for nail-biter. Good thing this was not a night flight. RC4 would have flown me right into those mountains. I guess charts would have helped some, but I dunno.JPS

If you check the NOTAMS box on the controller page you will be alowed more control of you altitude, I can't remember the exact words used but this should solve your problem.

Guest abulaafia

"If possible ... " (e.g. If possible, descend to ... )

First be sure you have upgraded your RC 4 to the latest version as well as FSUIPC.RC should be monitoring the MSA in a certain radius around your aircraft. On the Controller page check the MSA settings for your airports.The usual complaint we get is that if the approach is through a valley RC keeps the aircraft too high so your complaint is rather unusual. Could any third party mesh be a problem?Finally as already stated use NOTAMS for flexibility or if you do not need vectoring get the approach plates from various resources and use an IAP approach which means you accept full responsibility without RC guidance until you are on close final for the runway. You do this when approach first contacts you and advises a runway (which lets you know which runway AI is using if present or RC's preferred selection, or choose your own but be careful of AI conflicts).

Guest Douglas Thompson

RC doesn't see mountains. Without using the tools available and being a little creative, yes... we'll no doubt drive you into a mountain someday, a certainty if you do alot of moutain flying.Your tools:NOTAMs - altitude/heading clearances and xing restrictions are prefaced with "...if feasible..." or the like. The Watch Dogs are turned off (no reprocussion). Execute the clearances though as closely as possible. You need to use the NOTAMs option when flying into and out of mountaineous terrain.MSAs - RCv4 allows you to edit a destination MSA. Do this with regard to the direction you're approaching the area. Example: KBJC, ILS 29. There are three MSAs: 14,600ft, 10,500ft and 7300ft. If you're approaching the KBJC areas from the west, you'd want to ensure 14,600ft is in the MSA box. If approacing from the NE, use 7300ft. You get the idea.RCv5 btw allows for four values, displayed in a circle as quads. These values are saved per .pln so you don't have to makes entries each time you do that flight.Which brings us to the most important issue:>>I guess charts would have helped some...<