Sign in to follow this  
northridge

Recording my own voice

Whilst I entirely understand that you are rightly concentrating your efforts on he next version of RC, I would still like to record my own voice as Captain.As I am now using two payware aircraft with Captains' voices, RC4 and FSPassengers, it's all beginning to sound a bit - well - odd, with so many different people in the cockpit!Is there any way that I could do this without bothering you?All I would need is a list of the (how many?) hundreds of files, and the right software to record and edit the wavs.Is this possible, and if so, what software would I need?

There is already a brilliant utility supplied with RC4 called RCWavUtil.exe. If you run this it will give you options to record voice sets - controller or pilot. Just experiment with it. The arrow button is the record and the round blob is the stop button - say the word in the window and when you press stop the next word/phrase will appear. The file is saved with the correct name in the apporpriate script folder.It's what I did, and then I did the same with the FS2Crew Level-D 767 version so now when I fly the Level-D I have the best of all worlds - me talking to ATC and interracting on the flight deck.Hope that helps.

Graham.Can you give a detailed version of how you did this. I have run the utility and nothing either plays or records so I must be doing something wrong!.Also, how does the program know which folder to put the WAV files in, I see no way of changing this.thanksKeith

My apologies - the button to stop the recording is the square one - the circular one it to replay the file you just recorded.The program puts the wav files in the appropriate pilotscripts or controllerscripts directory (where the txt files are located). As the utility is installed with RC4 it looks for a directory called 'scriptcontrollerscripts' or 'scriptpilotscripts' depending in which option you chose to record.

Is there not a proper How To or set of instructions for this tool? Whilst being told that "the square button stops the recording and the circular one plays the recorded file" is a start, I am at a loss as to the rest of it.If I record a wav will it replace one already there? Where do my recorded files go? In the "scripts" folder there are text files and not wavs. It's strange that you go to the trouble of including the tool but don't help us with using it.Further assistance will be gratefully received.

there is much much more to this, than recording a set of files. after the wavs are recorded, the dead air before and after the actual phrase has to be trimmedthen all the wavs have to be processed so they are all the same levelthen controller wavs have to "radio-ized"in a month, or several months, the script for v5 will be finalized, and we will start asking for volunteers.those volunteers will then be asked to record about 30 phrases, and send them to us. they will be evaluated for quality if recording, authoritativeness, pronunciation, noise, etc. if they aren't up to snuff, we suggest ways to cut down the noise, or better the quality, or how to speak authoritatively.this make take 2-6 iterations.once we have a good demo set, we turn them lose on the entire set. then the wavs are sent to us, and processed, and we listen to them one last time.that's the reason there isn't a lot of instructions out there. those come whilst in the processbut to answer your question. the wavs are put into the script directory that you are recordingonce they are all there, you can use various tools to trim them, and normalize them. i use wavepad. others use sound forge. i think adobe has a tool that does this as wellwhen the set is complete processed, they are copied into an empty directory, or in place of an exisiting set you want to get rid ofjd

Thanks for the further explanation JD. Whilst I understand your need to ensure that the quality of voicesets is up to scratch for your customers, I'm sure you'll understand that some of us would like to have a go at this ourselves. If we make a dogs' dinner of it we only have ourselves to blame and luckily we won't inflict it on anyone else.Looking forward to v5.

feel free to record. in my last post was the bare bones method. record the script, copy the wavs into an empty directory, and enjoyjd

Hi there, will the volunteers be given any intonation guidance? Without this, voices sound far from realistic. The nav system in my car has got it right so that, for example, a phrase in mid-sentence sounds like it's in mid-sentence. Does RC have specific problems that will make this difficult to achieve? This is my only gripe with the current version of RC - which should tell you that you have a great product.Geoff

Geoffrey Kent

Hi Guys... I was going to post the same thing..but I did a quick search and found this thread.I would like to do this too. The only issue I have is (after reading this thread) is the empty spaces trimming and volume controlling etc. But I would still like to give it a shot.The other Q I have is.. what are the set of phrases that I would have to record. Is there such a list?MannyPS: I love the recording of the ATC that you have. Its so much better than the default FS9 ATC. Mixing the real world ATC recordning with RC has pretty much cured the initial issue with RC. Love it

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter