Sign in to follow this  
Guest kkholidaze

Altitude Problem

Guest kkholidaze

Hello JD, hope you had a good Thanksgiving. Question. I was flying from EGCC to LFPG and the controller assigned me an altitude. 6000 I believe. I was maintaining 6000 and I kept getting chewed out for busting altitude even thought my indicated was correct. I double checked my altimeter so I know that wasn't the issue. Any ideas?

Hi,The Transition Altitude at EGCC is 5000ft so you were probably assigned FL60. You should have reset your altimeter to standard pressure of 1013mb.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest kkholidaze

No, actually it was upon entering approach control in Paris. I had my altimeter checked and it was correct. 6000feet vs FL60? Hmmm, What's the difference? Isn't that just 6000feet? i'm sure it's not 60000 feet agl on approach.

Hi,<<6000feet vs FL60? Hmmm, What's the difference? Isn't that just 6000feet?>>Potentially an enormous difference. If QNH is 1013.2mb then they're the same but if it's different then they won't be and could be hundreds of feet different.The rule about changing the altimeter pressure is very simple. If you're given a flight level to fly (climbing or descending) you should always be on standard pressure. If you're cleared to x thousand feet you should be on local pressure or QNH.There's a section in the manual about Transition Altitudes. I suggest you familiarise yourself with it :-)Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather