Sign in to follow this  
Guest AirForcePilot

Questions????

Guest AirForcePilot

Hey everyone. I've been using RC for almost 3 years now and I want to remind JD how awesome his program is =) Anyway, here are my questions. I may have missed answers to these somewhere in my search of the forum and if so I apologize for starting a new thread. 1. I flew into KSAN (San Diego Intl.) tonight and RC told me to expect vectors to Rwy 27 which has a LOC approach. When clearing me for the approach the controller said I was cleared for the ILS 27, not the LOC 27. ILS is incorrect because it is not an ILS. 2. When picking up the ATIS at an airport with 2 or 3 parallel runways, how come RC says "Landing a departing 28L" and not "Landing and departing 28L and 28R". I notice this every time I'm at an airport with parallel runways. From my experience as a real world pilot, if the Left runway is active, so is the Right and vice versa. No offense JD but as terrible as MS's ATC is, that is one thing they do that RC doesn't.

1) good catch. i see a freq and assume it is an ils. i can't really tell if it is an ils or a loc approach2) another good catch. it is a universal phrase that is used regardless of runway configurationjd

Guest AirForcePilot

Hey JD. This is off the subject. Its something we discussed in the forum months ago. I had created a post asking about the order in which clearance gives you your clearance. Being a real world pilot, whenever I pick up a clearance I use the acronym "CRAFT". It stands for:C - Cleared to (either you destination or a fix)R - Route (as filed or an assigned route)A - Altitude (climb to xxxx expect yyyy 10 min after etc..)F - Departure frequencyT - Transponder (squawk code)I did all of my flight training at Flight Safety Academy in Vero Beach, FL and I got my B.S. in Aeronautics from Embry Riddle. The "CRAFT" order is how I've always received my clearances from ATC. Every time. RC4 gives the clearance in this order "CRATF". I believe you told me thats what you've been told from real pilots that you've consulted with but I still have never heard a clearance read in that order. Can you please tell me again where/who you received that information from because I'm really curious as to why I've never heard it in the real world. I know it sounds nit-picky but its just my way of paying attention to all of the details. Thanks JD.

Guest AirForcePilot

Did you obtain any other information to assist your decision to change the order or just my input? By the way, I don't know if you guys still have my name on the beta team list but if there is anything I can do to help with V5 I'd be honored.

i read some documentation to verifyat the moment, i have plenty of help. i'll re-evalutate the testers next yearjd

> From my experience as a real world pilot, if the Left runway is active, so is the Right and vice versa. Not necessarily! London Heathrow has two parallel runways, 09L/27R and 09R/27L but only one is activated at any time. The active is changed over at about 15.30 hrs to give nearby residents a break. LHR does not yet have CAA approval for dual runway operation as this would require a relaxation of CAA rules re runway spacing. Also, nearby residents are determined it will never happen. :) Iain Smith

I'm not sure that is correct Iain.LHR has both runways operating at the same time surely.They vary the take off and landing runways so that when 27L is landing then 27R is for take offs and vice versa.They are very well separated,so can operate down to Cat 3 unlike Manchester,UK where the 2 are too close for use in low visibility.Or am I missing the point.

>I'm not sure that is correct Iain.>>LHR has both runways operating at the same time surely.They>vary the take off and landing runways so that when 27L is>landing then 27R is for take offs and vice versa.They are very>well separated,so can operate down to Cat 3 unlike>Manchester,UK where the 2 are too close for use in low>visibility.>>Or am I missing the point.No you're quite right Chris. I've just checked and clearly my understanding of LHR operations is well out of date. What I read must have been more years ago than I realise. You learn something everyday! Thanks for pointing that out.Iain