Sign in to follow this  
Guest AirForcePilot

Question

Guest AirForcePilot

Is there a wish-list/idea box for new features to be incorporated into V5?

the v5 enhancement list is pretty much etched in stone. likely some things won't make it.but if you have a super-d-duper idea that would knock everyone socks off.....put it right herejd

Guest AirForcePilot

Since I haven't seen the list, I'd like to just share a few of my ideas with you in case they were overlooked.1. Progressive taxi2. Naming correct taxiways while talking to ground3. Auto-tune all frequencies to the radios, (i.e. ATIS, Squawk codes)4. Naming of all airports instead of "Cleared to the Papa Alpha November Charlie airport as filed....."5. Departure and Arrival ATIS's like you see at Class B airports.6. Assign gates, parking based on AFCADs and aircrafts call sign.7. Wait until your at the hold short line or in line for a runway before switching to tower. 8. Multiple runway use and land aircraft on one runway while taking off on another or LAHSO's. 9. Record instructions into communication log on the knee-board in flight sim. 10. Instruct aircraft based on their call signs to land on a realistic runway.....for instance: A Spirit Airlines plane going in or out of Orlando Intl. is going to be instructed to land/take-off on the 17-35 runways since their gates are on the east side of the field. A GA and cargo plane (along with a few airlines) will land/take-off on the 18-36 runways since they're on the west side of the field. 11. Better reporting of AI traffic. 12. Identify an ILS approach from a LOC or LDA approach.13. When contacting approach, have approach respond by saying "Expect vectors to the ILS 31 or expect vectors to the VOR-11R," unless its going to be a visual approach....which it should be if the weather is VFR....then the pilot will have to request an approach.14. Assign an instruction after departure if no departure procedure is used (i.e. fly runway heading or turn left/right on course cleared for take-off runway 28R)These are some of my ideas that I can think of off the top of my head. If I come up with anything else I'd be happy to share them with you if you're interested. Being both a real life pilot and having 4 years of programming experience I truly understand how difficult it is to incorporate everything. I have no doubt that V5 will be anything less then excellent just based on how well you've done V4. If I can be of any help with ideas or just a source for how things are done in the real world please do not hesitate to ask.

>Since I haven't seen the list, I'd like to just share a few>of my ideas with you in case they were overlooked.>>1. Progressive taxialready considered. doubt it will happen in v5. >2. Naming correct taxiways while talking to groundalready considered. doubt it will happen in v5. >3. Auto-tune all frequencies to the radios, (i.e. ATIS, Squawk>codes)already does this>4. Naming of all airports instead of "Cleared to the Papa>Alpha November Charlie airport as filed....."will you volunteer to record all 22000 airport names?>5. Departure and Arrival ATIS's like you see at Class B>airports.not sure what you mean, but atis/awos/asos will be revamped in v5>6. Assign gates, parking based on AFCADs and aircrafts call>sign.we will allow you to supply the gates for departure and arrival based on the carrier codes assigned to each gate>7. Wait until your at the hold short line or in line for a>runway before switching to tower. it's up to you to contact tower. you call tower when you're ready.>8. Multiple runway use and land aircraft on one runway while>taking off on another or LAHSO's. i don't control what the ai do. they have their own mind. if you don't like the runway assignment, choose a different one>9. Record instructions into communication log on the>knee-board in flight sim. there is a text display of what is said today. in v5 we will have a transcript function that you can print at the end of a flight, if you want>10. Instruct aircraft based on their call signs to land on a>realistic runway.....for instance: A Spirit Airlines plane>going in or out of Orlando Intl. is going to be instructed to>land/take-off on the 17-35 runways since their gates are on>the east side of the field. A GA and cargo plane (along with a>few airlines) will land/take-off on the 18-36 runways since>they're on the west side of the field. and what logic am i going to apply to every airport in the world? i do what the ai do, and allow you to change what you're told to do, so you can do what you want to do.>11. Better reporting of AI traffic. and what does that mean?>12. Identify an ILS approach from a LOC or LDA approach.we'll see. hard for me to know if i can tell the difference>13. When contacting approach, have approach respond by saying>"Expect vectors to the ILS 31 or expect vectors to the>VOR-11R," unless its going to be a visual approach....which it>should be if the weather is VFR....then the pilot will have to>request an approach.we have discussed changing the approach code. we'll see if that get's in>14. Assign an instruction after departure if no departure>procedure is used (i.e. fly runway heading or turn left/right>on course cleared for take-off runway 28R)already happens today, based on ai in the air around the airport>>These are some of my ideas that I can think of off the top of>my head. If I come up with anything else I'd be happy to share>them with you if you're interested. Being both a real life>pilot and having 4 years of programming experience I truly>understand how difficult it is to incorporate everything. I>have no doubt that V5 will be anything less then excellent>just based on how well you've done V4. If I can be of any help>with ideas or just a source for how things are done in the>real world please do not hesitate to ask.

Guest AirForcePilot

>3. Auto-tune all frequencies to the radios, (i.e. ATIS, Squawk>codes)If you push

>>3. Auto-tune all frequencies to the radios, (i.e. ATIS,>Squawk>>codes)>>If you push

Guest AirForcePilot

I don't have any information on the classes of airports in other countries nor do I know what terminology is used to describe foreign airports that we would refer to as Class B, C, and D airports. I'd be happy to do some research for you if you'd like. I do believe that actually naming all Class B and C airports in the U.S. is a feasible goal. I'll compile a list of them for you too if you'd like. There are obviously more Class D airports then B&C airports but I don't think it's an impossible goal either. I could be wrong because like I said, I don't know what the population of Class D 'Type' airports is like in other countries. I know you're the "Brains" behind RC but are you the only person who does the programming aspect of it? Who does the recording? I'm just curious. =)

there isn't the same airspaces outside the us. that is where it gets complicated.there are many brains on the beta team. each have their area of expertise. i just have to put it all together.most beta testers do a set of pilot and/or controllers for the final product. as we finalize the script we will be asking for auditions for v5jd

Guest AirForcePilot

I know the U.S. goes by the National Airspace System and that is only restricted to the continental U.S. - Alaska and Hawaii are a little bit different. What I'm basically saying is that some research would have to be done on airports outside the U.S. to determine what we would consider a "Class B,C, or D" airport and then decide whether or not to incorporate them into RC. I'm going to compile a list of class B and C airports in the U.S. so that we can have some idea of how many airports we're looking at. I'm going to look into airports abroad also. I know it'll take some more time on top of the other features being introduced but I believe it'll be worth it as far as realism goes.P.S. Sign me up for V5 auditions. =)

we've had the discussions about airspace outside the us. we have a controller from the uk that is educating us, on those matters. the problem, uk is different than fr, which is different than de, which is different than gr, which is different than au, which is different than jp.i already have the class b and c airports in the us.

Guest mmcevilley

>6. Assign gates, parking based on AFCADs and aircrafts call>sign.Yeah, we discussed this, and we agreed that ATC does not assign gates in the real world - therefore RC should not be taking on responsibility to assign gates. ATC only makes sure you are safely routed to your assigned gate.>10. Instruct aircraft based on their call signs to land on a>realistic runway.....for instance: A Spirit Airlines plane>going in or out of Orlando Intl. is going to be instructed to>land/take-off on the 17-35 runways since their gates are on>the east side of the field. A GA and cargo plane (along with a>few airlines) will land/take-off on the 18-36 runways since>they're on the west side of the field. Hmmm, what exactly is a realistic runway assignment? ;-)On a UAL flight into KLAX we were vectored for a visual to 24R. The UAL gates are adjacent to 25R on the other side of the airport. Then, when departing KLAX for KIAD, we were initially told to taxi to 25R. Within a few minutes we were given 24L. Had to go all the way around and to the other side of KLAX for that departure.Back in July flying into KMIA we were given a visual to 8R - UAL gates are adjacent to 9 on the other side of the airport.I've seen this happen at KPHX also - having to taxi from one side of the airport to the other for a departure or after an arrival.-michael

Guest AirForcePilot

Is the number of class B and C airports in the U.S. an unreasonable number for naming them properly?

Guest mikelally

Hi JDOccasionally I've waited holding short of, or on, a runway to find that there is an AFCAD problem and RC does not see me where I am on the scenery. A dialog to tell me that RC sees me as holding short or on the runway would be very welcome if possible.Mike Lally

what scenery was that. we've found a few of the problem children, and have work arounds for themwas it rhode island?jd

Guest mikelally

Hi JDNo it was UK2000 Gatwick pro 08R and a few others I cannot remember. I think the point is that I never feel confident RC sees my aircraft where I think it is, a simple message on the advdisp would let me know every time no matter what airport or scenery.Easy for me to say I know!RegardsMike Lally