Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boone

Landings

Guest Boone

In testing the Beta I found the landings of AI planes to be fairly inconsistent. An A340 would make a nice landing on one occassion and an absolute disaster the next. Sometimes, say a 737-300, would land just right and the next time it would come in and land so hard it would make you cringe! Other times I would watch other models make acceptable 'FS2K2 landings' one after another for a couple of hours. One observation I noticed was that landings appeared to improve the longer FS2K2 was going(?)This is an issue with the Simulator that as yet no one can solve. However the PAI planes take off really nice!That said, I find most PAI planes land pretty well most of the time and are a hands down improvement on the default planes. I think Project AI have done a remarkable job with limited resources and it is also worth keeping in mind that these planes are really only interactive scenery enhancements not a plane spotters add on. Cheers,Boone

>>I don't blame PAI for that, I guess it's just a weirdness of >>fs2002 ai handling. >>It's not - it's bad air files. >Agreed. It's bad .air files in combination with conflicting .cfg files. The MS 737-400.air file is the best of the default files, but using this file for other jets requires careful and significant modifications to the aircraft.cfg file as well. The PAI 767s are a great example of this; they taxi, take off, and turn into big lawn darts because they are attempting to use a mix of 737 and 767 characteristics.

I'm interested in your montage of L-1011 photos. Is there a public source of such pix available?I'm a simmer and a retired Jax and Atlanta ARTCC controller with ATP and LR-JET ratings. Before going to work for the FAA in 1981, I'd accumulated around 4300 hours, much of it at night and a substantial amount of actual instrument and turbojet PIC.In my years as a controller and as a paying passenger, I learned to really like the L-1011. And with DLC and Active Flight Controls, I thought the machine was as near perfection as any airplane in the air. Too bad it wasn't practical to further refine the aircraft ,upgrade powerplants, and continue production.I worked the Dalas arrival sectors for Atlanta Hartsfield and could always count on 350 knots in order to make an arriving L-1011 number one near the beginning of an inbound rush. Delta's flight deck personnel always helped out when they could!Any photo links will be greatly appreciated.:D Allyn

Guest Boone

Hi Allyn,Have you tried www.airliners.netI'm sure you'll be more than happy with their search engine!Boone

Guest Martin

I was talking mainly of unrealistically good braking performance. That's something consistent.But I agree with you: Sometimes the planes land fine, and sometimes not. Some planes are worse though, and some never land.Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing