Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aidi

Gauge Problem

I'm new here to Avsim but being flying FS sims since the 80's, I downloaded a few of the planes from the Bear's Cave and having a slight problems getting all the gauges to show up in my cockpit, can you guys give me some idea on what to do about it? I put Rick Sasala gauges in the gauges folder and the texture in the texture folder, but only a few gauges show up. I tried everything! help please!Ricky

Guest Aidi

Hi Ricky.Ok, lets see if we can get you working. Lets start at the beginning. I dont know how much experience you have with regards to downloading and extracting zip files and such like. If you are new to this, then it is very easy to make a mistake.. We have all done it!Ok, you say you have put the gauges in the gauges folder. Double check and ensure that the the .gau files in the zip you downloaded are in the gauges folder along with the default ones in Fs2002. Very easy to extract the gauges you are trying to install into a subfolder within the the default gauges folder. Check that out and see if it remedys your problem.http://www.avsim.com/vfr_center/avsim_sig.jpg

Thank you Aidi, I consider myself a pro when it comes to download things, since I've been a computer technician for almost 20 years, I better be :). I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, there have been a few planes that don't seem to have all the gauges, so maybe I'm not so much a pro, but I did double check a few times to make sure. The few I downloaded from the Bear Cave I even went back and redownloaded them just to be sure. I unzipped them in a temp dir then I took the gauges out and place them in the gauge dir, of the root of Flight Sim 2002. Now I'm running Flight Sim 2002 and most of these planes are for 2000, would that have anything to do with it?The real odd thing is that a few gauges show up and are funtioning but only a few, but none of the secondary gauges, GPS, radio, and power gauges are work. I really thank you, I love the this site, it's the best on the web, but there is a lot to learn, so sorry for all the questions. I am a fast learner ;)Ricky

OK Aidan, I tried again with the same results, I will tell you the one that I just tried again. It's Rick Sasala awesome version of the EA-6B, this is what it states:"Unzip to a temporary folder, then move the unzipped folder (EA-6B) to your FS2002Aircraft folder. This aircraft will appear in your Aircraft Selection list under Grumman, not EA-6B. This is for ATC purposes. Move the contents of the Gauge folder to the main Gauge folder, then delete empty folder. Move the contents of the effects folder to the Main effects folder, then delete empty folder. I have included the default Lear sound .cfg but you should use whatever you like. Mike Hambly and Aaron Swindle have made some excellent jet fighter sound packages."That is what I did, and again there are a few gauges there, but only about 1/4 of them, the rest of the cockpit is blank. I moved the gauges files and deleted the old folder and I moved the one and only effect file to the effects folder and deleted the old one. Very easy, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong! Once again I'm using 2002, and I think this maybe design for 2000, I'm nut sure! The file is founded in the Bear Cave article. Thank you!Ricky

Are you using standard program or pro? If it is the standard then some of the planes which use pro gauges will cause this. You can get the pro gauges by going to MSFS2000 site and dl'd the patch (number 2 I think). You can extract the gauges using Winzip and put in your gauge folder. DO NOT run the exe but extract (I believe three) gauge files.

Thank you very much Cliffp! I will try that!Ricky

I tried that Cliff but I already had those files in the gauge dir, but I backed them up and tried anyway with no luck! Is there a screen print option in FS2002, I can do a screen print so everyone can see it? Thanks any way Cliff! Ricky

There is a free program called FSScreen that I use. Works great. Start it up and then hit "PrintScreen" key to take pictures. Here is the web site. Be sure you go to English section in upper left of screen.http://fly.to/matthias-holzer

Here is a picture (I hope) of the EA-6B cockpit.

Did you check the panel.cfg?? Or does that plane above require the "concorde" gauges?You might want to go into the Panel folder for that aircraft, open the panel.cfg file with Notepad, and make sure all the gauges referenced there as Gauge00= Gauge01= etc, are actually in your fs2002/gauges folder.michael

Thanks I think that is it, only about half the .gau files are there! What's up with that? I don't have the Pro version, but why would the designer of the plane assume that I would have the Pro version? Any ideas?Ricky

Unfortunately, many of the great planes do require the Pro version gauges. I'm sure others will chime in with ideas for replacement gauges or fs2000 ones or downloads that may have a Pro gauge or two.michael

OK, now I know, thanks for all the help!!! I'm still learning all this great stuff you can do with this great program. The last version I had, was 98 and I didn't do much with it! I'm having a ball with 2002 now! Thanks again everyone!