Sign in to follow this  
Guest zsoltszivak744

Need a little advice

Guest zsoltszivak744

Gentlemen, Just installed RC4 and it is up and running. So far very satisfied with this product, I love the different voices and realism. I do have a few questions for you though. This may be a dumb question for you guys but what is QNH and how do I set this( PMDG 747), I know it has to do with the altimeter or baro pressure but it seems like a different format, bit confused.Second I flew a short hop from EGLL to EDDF, filed the FP with a DP, ATC let fly the sid but before I got to the last waypoint they vectored me completely offcourse almost a 180 turn in the opposite direction from. Eventually they gave me directions back on track but I was off course for most of the filed flightplan. I have version 2, the latest FSIPC, rebuilt the scenery database and have unchecked drift in FS.Thanks in advance for any insight.Zsolt

Hi Zsolt,QNH is the pressure below the Transition Level in non-FAA areas. You should ensure the pressure on your altimeter is set to QNH when starting a flight (listen to the ATIS broadcast) and also when descending to an altitude (as opposed to a Flight Level when it always remains at standard of 29.92" / 1013mb).The golden rule on when to change to standard pressure from QNH is when you're cleared to your first Flight Level. You change to QNH from standard pressure when cleared to your first altitude.There should be a active area on the PMDG altimeter where you can adjust the pressure with the mouse.The reason you were given a 180 is because as far as RC is concerned you missed a waypoint. As you are flying the PMDG747 it's likely you are using its CDU so the flight plan in that and the RC flight plan could differ. You can see the active RC waypoint in the FSUIPC transparent window so make sure it tallies with the active one in your CDU.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest zsoltszivak744

Hi Ray, Thanks for the advice, will try to check the FP next time. I used FS Build to export the FP to both FS and PMDG, so I dont see how the waypoints would differ in RC and the PMDG CDU, but maybe I messed up somewhere.Thanks, will let you know if it works.Regards: Zsolt

Hi Zsolt,If you fed the same plan to both the CDU and RC then the other possibility is that you failed to pass within 2 miles of a waypoint during the SID or 5 miles once beyond the SID (DP).Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I often have this problem too, where although the flight plans match perfectly, RC tells me i'm off the flight plan, and vectors me 180. It's sure to happen when i cheat with a little time compression;-) I find it anoying when it happens in real time though.It does happen mostly with the PMDG744, so i'm assuming it's not keeping an accurate enough flight path?Maybe i'll change the rc4 settings a little.......

Hi Phil,Do you generate your plans with FS Build and then feed them to the CDU and RC? If so then you shouldn't have a problem.Are you switching on time acceleration during the early part of your flight and if so what setting? x2? x4?Only use time compression when you've reached cruise and the waypoint changes don't involve a big heading change.Ask yourself the next time you miss a waypoint what caused it and what can you do to prevent the same happening next time. It might be down to your flying style and if so maybe you should change that rather than change RC settings?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest zsoltszivak744

Hi Ray, I have the QNH figured out so far, I'll see how it goes with the flight planning and the waypoints. I'll get back with you in a bit.Regards: Zsolt

You will also get delay vectors for descent if you miss an altitude restriction.As far as the PMDG ND display, exporting from a planner to the aircraft and RC will give you the same waypoints. When you do this and set up your FMC for arrival and departure do NOT use the FMC datasbase of SIDS or STARS as it could be a different route than that provided to RC and overwrite that imported into the FMC from your planner.If you want to use an FMC generated STAR arrival be sure it matches the initial portion of the FS plan and when contacted by approach elect to follow an IAP which gives you complete freedom (no vectors will be issued) to perform an FMC dictated approach.Getting the departure and arrival database of the FMC to match the plan created by your flight planner is quite a challenge. I just use the SID/STAR database presented by the flightplanner so the aircraft plan and FS/RC plan are in synch.

On the PMDG 737NG EICAS control panel the altimeter readout is controlled as follows:Clicking the center knob switches the altitude reading to standard pressure (29.92 in or 1013 mb) or back to QNH. QNH is set by clicking to the left or right of the knob. Clicking above the knob (on the word barometer) switches between inches and millibars.Also note that in the FMC Performance Init you can set the departure transition altitude. In the DES FOR page you set the arrival transition altitude. These are more for speed constraints established in VNAV.RC will announce verbally altimeter check when climbing above or descending below transition altitude as reminder to switch between QNH and standard altimeter reference pressure.

Guest airbus2

"If you want to use an FMC generated STAR arrival be sure it matches the initial portion of the FS plan and when contacted by approach elect to follow an IAP which gives you complete freedom (no vectors will be issued) to perform an FMC dictated approach."If I was to do this would ATC give me vectors at the end of the star or would i have to find my own way from the end of the STAR to the begining of the approach, if so how would I do this?Thanks,Dave

Hi Dave,The STAR would end AT the begining of APP airspace so if you made your crossing restriction, RC will hand you over to Approach (usually 40nm from the arrival airport). It is at this point where you elect to take vectors or ask for a IAP if you want to fly the complete approach yourself.Subs

If you select IAP then you find your own way to the IAF. You are talking about STARS that state in the plates "Expect Vectors to . . ." then you would not use an IAP. RC will turn you off the STAR about 40 to 30 miles out and follow its best choice pattern for the selected runway and your incoming direction.Many STARS include the IAF so you will have waypoints from your planner. I find I can use a STAR and then take vectors. I do set in the FMC the IAP (right hand side of the CDU ARR page such as ILS27) as guidance for the LOC merge. It can contain crossing altitudes and such which can show on the ND and the LEGS page. Now these still come from the FMC database but you will not find these glideslope points in your planner so there should be no discrepancy.If you are doing an RNAV/GPS approach you may find the FMC has a path to take you from the final STAR waypoint to the IAF and on to final. If the IAF is common to all of the runways you are all set.Many IAPs for each runway include multiple IAFs that satisfy incoming direction. If you wish you can in an IAP add the preferred IAF to your LEGS page. Let us also not forget a DME ARC entry. That is another case for an IAP approach. I generally use HDG mode with VOR2 on the reference for DME with the STDBY FREQ on the ILS or LOC or INBOUND VOR ready to be switched. VOR 1 is on the inbound reference.The intermediate solution is to use NOTAMS so you can get vectors at least partway to the IAF and ignore ATC without penalty in the lkast stages (by this time the RC wiondow should not show any more waypoints to fly over so you will not have to do a waypoint skip in RC). With the IAF showing on your ND you can see if the vectors will take you by there. If terrain allows you can also fly from the the last point of the STAR direct to the IAF for the specific runway. Note that in many areas STARS are runway specific and will include the IAF so in those cases you can do an IAP letting LNAV perform its guidance or use HDG to follow the path on the ND. These STARS are more common outside of the US.In those cases where a procedure turn is required where a straight in approach can not be done and a rectangular pattern can not be performed because usually of terrain interference at one end or narrow corridor need an IAP approach. Corridor approaches surrounded by high terrain may give RC too high a sampled/measured MSA for approach and it can bring you in from the wrong direction much too high. In this case there may be a descending in-line or merge vector race-track pattern that allows descending to the altitude for a proper vertical profile final at the FAF in which case coming in too high may be acceptable with a vectored approach at high altitudes. I have not yet encountered too many of these. Usually approaches like this use a descending procedure turn entered outbound.In version 5, we are going to look at ways of getting better approach scenarios. Since jd already mentioned this in a previous post in a window for each airport will be an MSA quad where you can enter the MSA for each sector. This should help RC in predicting a proper entry pattern for the best most efficient entry altitude. This will not eliminate an IAP such as where a DME ARC or PT is required but vectoring should be better.Again I've given a longer answer but there are many choices.

Guest zsoltszivak744

Hey Fellas, Ok, I got things rolling here. I left EGLL on 27L and flew the DP as filed, had no 180 redirects, although the original FP I filed via FS Build was departing on 09R. QNH was properly set so that may have made a difference. No issues until right before TD I missed an altitude restriction when I got a redirect from RC4, other than that I got busted for not holding my assigned altitude a few times. Anyone know how to ask for "descend at pilots discretion"?Thanks in advance.Regards: ZsoltThanks for everyones input, great stuff!!!

there are two places.you have to have the comms (otherwise the co-pilot will always accept the descent clearance)and you have to have pilot auto reply offthe initial descent from cruise can be deferred by asking for it to be at pilot's discretion, and the there is another descent clearance between cruise and the crossing restriction which can be at your discretionjd