Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

RC Slowdown

I have just one item that causes problems for me while running rc4....When running RC, and selecting a different view, everying 'hanges' for a few seconds. Although FS9 stops, when it restarts 3-5 seconds later, the aircraft is that much further on - it's continued its flight during the pause. This is ok while cruising, but on final or takeoff, it cause real problems.Anyone else had this and found a fix?

I have the same motherboard and CPU. RAM is 1.25 GB and video is a 6800GT with 256 MB. Make sure you are using a separate sound card to relieve the CPU of audio duties as much as possible.What you are experiencing seems to be a RAM or processor overload. FS renders most of it graphics off of the motherboard CPU. The mapping of textures to 3D surfaces is intensive. RC should not be draining your resources that much.Make sure any unneeded background processes are terminated before starting FS and add-ons. If you are not on-line terminate your virus checker and if you use a broadband connection turn off the network port and shutdown your software firewall. (I download weather using ActiveSky 6 prior to a session.) There is a Windows messaging service that unnecessarily runs that you do not need unless you are using instant messaging. This will free up ram and CPU cycles.I see when changing views a pause whether RC is running or not particularly when AI are being painted but not as long as you are experiencing. I do not use a VC. I run Ultimate Traffic at 100%.Generally on take-off or final I do not switch views but am concentrating on the runway and instruments or front sky view and instruments. With Interact With AI on and AI Chatter (not prerecorded chatter) on, that should provide enough situational awareness that frequent side views are not necessary as it is unlikely VFR traffic needs to be observed at larger airports. Having Interact with AI on also means RC can usually stop a runway encroachment by AI as you are on close final, a noted frequent difficulty with FS AI.In your FS9.cfg try setting your texture bandwidth to 200 or more to see if this reduces the view change rendering time. Do not set it excessively high.Keep an eye on your disk access lights. They should only be indicating access on a busy basis when extensive audio files are being built by RC. This process has been made more efficient in version 4.2 but only during ATIS and clearance deliveries are long audio deliveries built.Go to the general FS9 and hardware forums here and search on threads regarding texture loading and performance. There are lots of hints on how to set sliders and edit FS9.cfg to improve graphics performance. (Always make a safe copy of FS9.cfg so you keep your non-graphics settings intact for a safe restore if needed.)If when using RC you see a lot of disk activity other than its audio building, then you may need to add more RAM. From building various systems I ended up with that extra 0.25 GB but it actually made a significant performance improvement when I added it.As for the aircraft having moved during this "blind" period, that is normal.

Many thanks for the detailed response. I guess i must be reaching my hardware limits. Just when i finally thought i had FS9 running silky (well nearly).....Recently finished a whole bunch of reinstalling and tweaking - both Windows and FS9. It made a huge difference to my simming experience. Not so much with frame rates which, to be honest, don't bother me much. But the smoothness - completely different - much better! I think i now have FS9 making the most of my PC, leaving nothing left over i guess.