Sign in to follow this  
Guest Room112

RCv4 and WideFS: Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!

Guest Room112

Hi everyone. First time poster, long time reader.I've been reading up on the advantages of separating ASv6 and RC onto another PC via WideClient so I decided to give it a try. Here's the Readers Digest version:- Uninstalled existing copy of FS9 on home PC (COMPUTER)- Used TuneUp 2007 to remove all registry entries of old FS9 install, deleted Application DataMicrosoftFS9, Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9, as well as My DocumentsFlight Simulator Files.- Installed fresh copy of FS9 on PC (COMPUTER). Ran once, then installed 9.1 update.- Installed FSUIPC 3.7.1.0 into Modules folder. Ran FS9 then quit.- Installed WideServer 6.7.1.0 .DLL and .INI into Modules folder. Ran FS9, registered program, then quit.- Formatted and installed Windows XP SP2 on second PC (SERVER). Set Administrator password to same as COMPUTER. Added PC to same workgroup. Used same IP range/subnet. - Installed RC4, then RCv41 update, then RCv4_3831 update.- Created C:WideClient folder and copied .EXE and .INI.- Shared roots of COMPUTER and SERVER and mapped to Z: of each computer. Turned off simple sharing. Confirmed permissions and security on share by copying files from one PC to the other.- Started FS9 on COMPUTER. Message displays "WideServer waiting for clients".- Started WideClient on SERVER. Message displays CONNECTED.- Started RC and loaded flight plan from COMPUTER via Z:. When I click on the "Start RC" button I get "Maybe running on WideClient, but FS not running on Server, or wrong FSUIPC." I even disabled the Windows Firewall on both PCs, but the same error comes up. I can VNC into one from the other, I can ping with no problems. I can browse both Z: drives and move files back and forth. I've done searches here, on FlightSim.com, on SimFlight.com and on Google for this specific error but it's been slim pickings.I've been trying to figure this out since 12:00 PM and I need to walk away from it and clear my mind. But, if anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the right direction, I promise to buy you a coffee if you're ever in town.Thanks in advance,Anthony @ CYHM

Hi Anthony,Make sure you share your Main Flight Simulator Folder on the network and also the folder where your flight simulator files are stored (usually My DocumentsFlight Simulator files). Ensure that network users are allowed to change the files.I have one of these mapped to Y: and Z: on my widefs machine for convenience.See if that helps.All he best,John

Guest cirurgiao

Hi, AnthonyWill try to help. I'd prefer cocoa instead of coffee;) 1) Get all files and folders written in your COMPUTERCDocuments and SettingsYourNameAppDataMicrosoftFS9/FSX folders and COPY them to your COMPUTERC...YourNameYour docsFlight Simulator/Flight Simulator X Files (where the flights are saved - don't know why this should be this way but...)2) If you shared all drives in both COMPUTER/SERVER right-click in COMPUTERCDocuments and Settings and shares it then do the same path to COMPUTERC...YourName and do the same ...Your docs folder to share it too3) Shares both FS9/FSX folders4) Shares SERVERdrivewideclient/rcv/asv6.5/... each of of them 5) Run makerways in both FS9/FSX root6) Run rcv4.3(3843) rebuild scenery database BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE - it will ask if you are running a widefs config - terrific job of JD btw - click yes. You will have to write the path to your COMPUTER - usually COMPUTERFS9/FSX7) In rcv4.3 you will need to tell rc the path to your saved flights (COMPUTERCDocs and SettingsYourNameYourDocsFS Files) and do the same in rcv4.3X (...YourDocsFSX Files)I think item 2 was a bit confusing but didn't want to miss anything so you need to share every folder from drive down to YourDocsHope this helpEduardo

Guest cirurgiao

Hi, JohnYou got it before meBTW you helped me a lot with widefs config. ThanksTried to write down step by step of what I've done to make things easier.Eduardo

Guest thammond

Hello,I am getting the exact same error message that Anthony received. I tried all of the suggestions listed above but still no go. I am running FS9 on a Win2000 pro platform and RC on a WinXP Home platform. I have the latest FSUIPC and WIDEFS installed. WIDEFS does indicate that I am connected. Any ideas?

Guest cirurgiao

1) Have you MakeRways in FS9 root? If not you need to get it from Pete Dowson's forum - section "other downloads..."2) Run makerways inside FS9 root. It will create some files:r5, runways... don't worry - it will be used by rcv43) Run rcv4 and rebuild database scenery

Guest thammond

I do have makerwys.exe in my root FS9 directory and I did run it. It created R4.csv and runways.csv in the root FS9 directory. I ran the rebuild database and that seemed to go OK.

Guest thammond

Just to clarify, I am still having the same error, I had already tried rebuilding the database. I think my last post may make it seem like everything is OK now.

Guest cirurgiao

Have access to your server pc "My docsFlight Simulator Files" in your client pc? Maybe it's a dumb question but it's very basic and if haven't, there will be no way to work.BTW Anthony had trouble too and it seemed that everything is okay by now.Other than that, did you install rcv4, then upgrade to rcv4.01, then 4.2 (3831) which would need another key when you run it for the first time, then the last build 4.3 (3843)?If so I'd sugest that you begin from scratch, uninstalling rcv4 (maybe it's extreme, but I know what's to want something to work so badly - and flying with rcv4 sent FS to another level!!!)Before anything else, remember to install and allow sharing of folders.Eduardo

Guest cirurgiao

BTW have you firewall in both computers? Because if so you will need to give access for these programs to run

Guest thammond

OK,I have 4.2 installed. I started with 4.0, installed 4.01 over that, and then 4.2 over that. I did not install 4.3 as I understand that is intended for FSX.I don't think I have any firewalls installed/turned on.I was double checking my file sharing when I relized that I think I installed FS9 from a different username than what I have been using to run FS9. I actually have 4 different username/accounts on my FS9 computer. I don't know if that may be my problem? I went and gave file sharing permission from root through flight simulator files for each username. However that did not solve my problem. I still have the same error. Maybe I need to copy files from: Documents and SettingsYourNameAppDataMicrosoftFS9 to: YourNameYour docsFlight Simulator/Flight Simulator Files as suggested earlier. I have not tried that yet.One other thing that I thought about is that I have FS2002 and FS2000 loaded on the computer that I have RC installed on. Could that be causing any problems?I will try reloading RC, but would like to have some feedback on abouve questions first to see if I need to address anything else first.

Guest cirurgiao

Don't think so. From what I know rcv4 is instended to FS9/FSX but I'm not sure. But it's something to think using 4 different usernames. Maybe it's messy.Try copying all files from AppDataMicrosoftFS9 to YourNameYour docsFlight Simulator Files and see what happens.

Guest Room112

Cirurgiao,Sorry I haven't been monitoring this thread (even though I've been on Avsim many times since). I've solved the issue that I described above. It would appear to be a corrupt FSUIPC license file. Once I removed it and had FSUIPC re-create it, the problem was solved.Thanks again for all of your help, and I'll hold up my end and buy you that cocoa the next time you're around my neck of the woods.Cheers,Anthony @ CHYM

Guest cirurgiao

AnthonyYou see? Many times it's something so small that causes so much trouble!!!Glad that you got it right.I'll look forward to that cocoa:-wave :-wave :-wave Eduardo