Sign in to follow this  
Guest David Ben Avraham

Qnh and FSC

Guest David Ben Avraham

Hi there,I changed my flightplanner FSBuild2.3 for the more advanced FSC8.having done that I ran into some unforeseen problems.My default airplane is the PMDG744.(The Queen for short).My first generated flightplan by FSC8 sent me all over the place butthe right direction according to RC.After changing the flightplanthis time without a sid I started of nicely with the FMC trackingthe plan as it should.But again RC announced that hopefully I drive better then I flyand some other frases.Anyway the Q. being here is:How do I save the flight in FSC so RC won't go beserk?Second Q. Qnh on arriving give me problems at some flights.Even after having requested WX and gotten the right Qnh still (notwith all airports, all addons)I get altitude messages only after Ipush the B button the qnh changes again to another reading it settlesdown.Thank you all,David.

Hi David,<Perhaps a question for the FSC forum? It needs to be saved as a FS9 plan. I'm sure there is an option to do that. It's imperative that the plan you feed into the FMC is the same as the one fed to RC.<>Without knowing what airports you were flying to it's difficult to analyse the problem. However, the golden rule with QNH and Std Pressure is this... When cleared to a Flight Level you should be on Std Pressure. When cleared to an altitude you should be on local pressure or QNH.When the controller clears you to an altitude it will always be accompanied with the QNH. For example "Speedbird 123, Descend and maintain five thousand feet. QNH 1018". After acking that instruction you immediately dialup 1018 on the altimeter.Likewise when climbing. The first clearance to a Flight Level is when you change to Std Pressure. If you follow that rule you can't go wrong.Finally, resist the temptation to press B. It only works correctly in US airspace. Instead dial the pressure into the altimeter manually.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest David Ben Avraham

Thank you Ray,The airport is LHBP the new 2007 version.As for the Qnh and Standard,on arriving I just dial in the Qnh or do I have to punch the Standard button first? This to cancel the setting.Thank you again, David

For the Queen (I have the 737NG which is similar) pushing the STD or BARO button places the altimeter reference in standard flight level reference. Pushing it again will place it in QNH. On the 737 the mode is announced on the PFD with STD appearing above the QNH dialed in. The numbers always show QNH.You set it during climb or descent before reaching the transition altitude. There also is an audible warning "altimeter check" as you climb or descend through the transition altitude that originates from RC.I believe you will find the TA on the RC controller page preflight.As Ray said, best to forget the "B" button as it is hard coded for 18,000 feet, the US standard. With the Boeing EFIS it is easier to use the BAR button.Regarding SIDs and STARs basically RC ATC must be followed. Even with your flightplan exported into the FMC and into FS9 for RC, ATC can deviate. There are options in RC that offer flexibility. Search for FMC on this forum for a more detailed message (from me, for one).

Guest David Ben Avraham

Thank you Ron for your help,and yes I will look it up in the manualRegards David.

Guest Dutch64

about the fsc route, it might be that there are some waypoints very nearby the airport (within a few miles). Better delete them from the plan because it's always trouble :)About QNH, I very often get the message "altimeter check" during descent but didn't get a QNH yet. CheersMartin

>about the fsc route, it might be that there are some>waypoints very nearby the airport (within a few miles). Better>delete them from the plan because it's always trouble :)>For departure if your waypoints are closer than 30 nm you will not be vectored. If further you get vectors unless in the controller page preflight you change the restriction options. Generally a waypoint within a couple of miles of the runway I handfly in order to get RC waypoint credit if there is a significant turn. After that I engage LNAV with a double punch direct to as explained above.>About QNH, I very often get the message "altimeter check">during descent but didn't get a QNH yet. >You will get the QNH in descent before you reach the transition altitude early in your approach sequence, not after the altimeter check alert.

Guest Dutch64

>You will get the QNH in descent before you reach the transition >altitude early in your approach sequence, not after the altimeter check >alert.Ron, I know it's supposed to be like that but it happens often that I don't get the QNH before TA.It's not that big problem for me, I usually quickly check Active Sky or so, but I really don't always get that QNH setting. Maybe the area where flying has to do with it?Martin

Hi Martin,<>You'll get QNH when cleared down to an altitude. Until then it's not required. See my explanation of this to David further up this thread.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

About QNH, I very often get the message "altimeter check" during descent but didn't get a QNH yet.Thank you for reporting this, Martin. The "altimeter check" message is set to be called by the co-pilot when you pass 300ft below the actual altitude of the Transition Level on your descent to an altitude. In these circumstances, you should always have been given a QNH before you hear the "altimeter check" message.It would be a great help if you could try to replicate this situation with 'Debug' on and then send the log file to jd. The full instructions on how to do this are pinned at the top of this forum.If you're absolutely certain that this is happening in the way you describe, you may have found a problem that needs investigating and the log will be very useful.Pete

Guest Dutch64

OK, thanks for all the replies, I will fly with debug on one of these days and will report back.CheersMartin

Guest Dutch64

Hi, I had the problem again this evening, no QNH and the altimeter check came too early (at around 12,500 while the TA there is 11,000)I've created a debug file and sent to JD ;)CheersMartin

I've created a debug file and sent to JD ;)Thank you, Martin, that will be a great help in tracing the problem.the altimeter check came too early (at around 12,500 while the TA there is 11,000)Ah no, that's when it's supposed to give the altimeter check and it is working correctly. It's not the Transition Altitude that's the important datum for resetting the altimeter on descent - it's the Transition Level. If you read my previous post again you'll see that I said the "altimeter check" call is programmed to run as you pass 300ft below the actual altitude of the Transition Level which could well be around 12500ft with low pressure and a Transition Altitude of 11000ft.You need to remember that the "altimeter check" call is just that - a check by the co-pilot to ensure the altimeters have been reset correctly. It is not an instruction to do so. When flying outside the US you should reset your altimeter as soon as you commence your descent from a Flight Level to an altitude. If you leave it too late to set the QNH, you'll be through your cleared altitude before you realise it and you risk what we call a "level bust".Pete

Guest Dutch64

Ah, ok, get that now, thanks. Again, it's no show stopper at all for me but just curious if it can be solved;)Cheers,Martin

Guest Dutch64

Pete, reading again your reply now, the current QNH there was 1013, so, in fact the same as STD. Then 12,500 is too early, right?Again, not to start a whole discussion about this, just want to make sure I understand it correctly ;)Martin