Sign in to follow this  
daan_vb

Controller Problem

Hi there,I was asked to descend to FL120 for my approach, but I missed my crossing restriction so was vectored 90 degrees to continue my descent. Anyway shortly after after completing the turn I was at FL120, so i waited patiently for ATC to vector me back onto my approach. About 30 - 40nm later nothing happened so i decided to risk the controllers wrath and descend to 11000 ft to see what happened. At 11900ft the ATC kicked in telling me to swing around 180 degrees back onto my approach path and everthing went as it should.So can anyone tell me why ATC took so long to get back to me and why as I started descending they suddeny started speaking to me. I have a feeling it may have something to do with my altimeter setting but the transition level for Jersey is 6000ft I think so I should still be at standard pressure until then (which I was).Any ideas?ThanksDan

WAT1036.png

Well, I'd be willing to bet jd's salary that yet again this is a case of a mis-set altimeter - it certainly has all the hallmarks of one especially as RC ATC reacted as if you were at FL120 as you passed what you thought was FL119 descending.You say you had standard pressure set - I don't suppose you used the 'B' key to confirm it was set did you? If so, that was your problem. The 'B' key is set up to work with the US Transition Altitude of 18000ft and if you press this key below that altitude, it will actually set the QNH rather than standard pressure regardless of what the actual Transition Altitude is. In other words when flying outside North America, don't use the 'B' key - always set standard pressure or the QNH manually on your altimeter's sub-scale.Just for the record, although not technically a part of the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands use the standard UK Transition Altitude of 3000ft and, unless you changed it, this what RC uses too.Pete

Hi Pete,Altimeter was set at 29.92. In the PMDG i set standard pressure manually. I use FXPax and when descending I press B when the copilot says "Passing transition altitude captain, please check altimeters." I'm pretty sure I was at standard pressure at 12000ft.

WAT1036.png

when descending I press B when the copilot says "Passing transition altitude captain, please check altimeters." Hmmm... that doesn't sound too good to me. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with this FXPax but can it be programmed with the actual Transition Altitude - in your case approaching Jersey, 3000ft - or does it use the US TA of 18000ft to trigger this message? If it's the latter, that would explain your problem because pressing the 'B' key on passing 18000ft sets the QNH.Pete

You can set the transition altitudein FSPassengers. I have it set to 5000ft. So on passing 5000ft, if descending I press B to set to QNH or if climbing I set 29.92

WAT1036.png

where were you flying into?if you were truly told to descend to FL120, then altimeter should have been 29.92if you were told to descend to 12000, then the altimeter should have been the local pressurethe "B" key always sets the altimeter to 29.92 below FL180, which is very USA - centricjd

Hmmm, i can't remember if it was FL120 or 12000ft. I will remember that for next time though. I was flying into Jersey btw, EGJJ

WAT1036.png

OK, thanks, that's useful information but as jd seems to have taken over, I'll butt out and let you continue this discussion with him. P.

which has a transition altitude of 3000so it would have been FL120you shuold not have been a local pressure until around 3000. if you pressed "B" you were at local pressure because of the USA-centric operatino of the "B" keyjd

Well i think i was at 29.92. I don't press B until at least 5000 ft as thats whats set in FSPax

WAT1036.png

Guest Captain Dad

If the controller say climb to ALTITUDE XXXX you are still BELOW the transition level.If he says climb to FLIGHT LEVEL XXXX you are now entering into the "Twilight Zone" of ATC so press the "B" key and hope for the best. That's how I remember it.You can always ask for the altimeter setting if you forget.If you are flying off into oblivion then the ATC guys must have gone out on a lunch break - union rules. Sorry. It's a living.:-spacecraft