Sign in to follow this  
bobgo

FS ATC

Hi all First post here. I have been using FS for years now but just using GA aircraft. Just started using the big jets.Question,, What controls wheather you get the option for IFR when you contact tower for taxi? I use FSBuild for makeing up flight plan, then export to FS & FSNav.That way I can fly the flight plan and watch it on other monitor.Sometimes I get the menu with the IFR option, sometimes not,???I have ordered RC, Just waiting for it to arrive.Useing mostly default 737,,,I start with making plan in FSB, it usualy has one already, export to FS & FSNav,,Run FS and choose Flight planner and select the just made plan and let FS move my plane to the selected airport, sometimes I will select to be at the gate, then the keystroke to get taxi info. Sometime I get Taxi IFR and sometimes not. I know it is something I am doing but I can't figure out what.????Any help will be welcomeMarshall (Bob)just call me Bob, Gordon

You can get the user manual downloaded from jdtllc.com if you don't want to wait for the CD.Version 4 is primarily IFR. For the airliners this is what you would fly anyway since (in the FAA juridiction) 18,000 feet (FL 180) and up is all controlled airspace. Of course, RC does not limit you to just 18,000 and over but any legal IFR altitude for any suitable IFR equipped aircraft, big or small.Generally, you will not use the FS menu. I also suggest you get a freeware or payware weather application.If you are using the payware version of FSB (v. 2.3) then if you have Active Sky running with a loaded weather file (FS need not be running) then FSB will take winds into account in planning fuel consumption and generating a paper navlog for you. FSB may work with other weather programs -- I have not checked since I use AS 6.5Read the tutorials and overview in the user manual to get a head start. Correct sequence of procedures and planning is critical.Others here use FSNAV.Be aware that with FSNAV controlling the aircraft (if you elect) you especially during departure and arrival will have to take over using heading and altitude control (if using the AP) in order to comply with RC ATC instructions.You can depart from a non-controlled airport in version 4 because RC simulates a telephone call to clearance delivery. You will get a clearance with a deadline to radio ATC after takeoff. You can elect at any time to go visual or on approach elect to do a visual landing. At some airports you may be required to do a circle-to-land procedure.Version 5, many, many months away will have VFR options it is hoped so you can have more of a mixed flight.Get a head start by reading the new user parts of the manual and after installation fly the tutorials. It will save you lots of grief.For FAA airports if FS NAV does not supply airport IFR charts you can get current versions (free) from www.flightaware.com under resources where you can get a bundled .pdf of all charts for each airport.See how you do and we'll be happy to advise on additional resources as you need them such as chart interpretation.

Hi Ron and thanks, I surely will be reading the RC manual and with RC I won't be needing the generic FS ATC. I will think about AS but probably will wait a while,,until I get comfortable with RCbobgo

Hi, Bob,I believe your main question was how does the default MS ATC know you are requesting an IFR clearance, and the simple answer is that you must load your flight plan through Flight Planner built into FS.Once you have done that you will see an option something like, "Contact ground for IFR clearance." Hope this helps.Happy flying,Tom Murpy