Sign in to follow this  
bobgo

what aircraft

Hi all,,First, I am a long time user of FS but until very recently I have only flown the small GA aircraft. I have read a lot about RC and ordered it, and am waiting for delivery. Reading posts in this forum and others it seems that a lot of you don't fly the MSFS default aircraft (commerical). I have flown the default 737 a little but as I want to start flying long range, probably just North America, was thinking maybe there is some aircraft available that would be more realistic. While payware is not out of the question, to begin with I think freeware would be my option. So What are you guys flying for routes around the US.any suggestions would be welcomeThanks.Marshall (Bob) Gordon

Bob,Welcome to the RC forum. I think the MelJet (www.meljet.com) set of B747 & B777 are one of the premier freeware aircraft available. But there are tonnes more, just do a search at the avsim library. But for specific suggestions, the avsim FS9/FSX forums are probably the best place to ask.While you wait for RC to arrive, make sure you read the manual in the meantime. It'll help you to get started much easier.If you have any more questions, we're here to help :()Subs

The 767-300 might fill your needs with a typical range of 4200 to 5800 nm depending on engine type.http://www.projectopensky.com/downloads-index.phpis a good place to start for freeware. Many of their models are popular.If you want an FMC and modeled hydraulic and electrical systems in your aircraft then you would probably need payware such as the likes of PMDG or LDS.I suggest learning RC on a non-FMC aircraft until you're familiar with the routine and flexibilities. When you are experienced you can graduate to an FMC type and thoroughly know how to manipulate your aircraft with it to meet RC ATC demands. It can be of great assistance especially in descent operations but remember that ATC rules, not your FMC.I also suggest you search for resources for airport charts (diagrams, approaches, SIDS, and STARS) so you can fly an IAP approach to avoid obstacles in a mountainous territory such as Chilean coastal airports. You need to navigate through the safe corridors established by a STAR and published approach plate. Read about the various flexible choices you can make with RC when vectors are not the best option.

Thanks guys,Yes, I probably will start with a default or freeware aircraft and i'm sure there will be a learning curve from the small GA aircraft that I am used to. I did d'l. the RC manual and have been reading through it but i'm sure there will be questions.Also just reading thru the posts here, and i've been thru most of them, will help a lot.One thing I have noticed is that on the larger default craft the radio stack is only available by "shift 2 or something". Don't the big jets have the radios available on the main panel? oh wellagain thanksMarshall (Bob) Gordon

Some will have one nav radio control panel on the main panel. Most have the comms and transponder, NDB, etc, on the throttle center console. Some may have on the lower main panel a small avionics control panel but this is rare in the larger airliners.If you want to look at real world panel layouts search the cockpit photos at airliners.net for your favorite airliners.

Most of big jets have the radios on the pedestal, ie. the area between the left hand seat and the right hand seat, and just before the throttles. So that's why a new window must be opened up in FS to show that area of the real cockpit.Wait till you see the overhead panel - you'll love learning about that one!...but all in good time :()RC is one part of it, but in general, learning to fly the complex aircraft available in FS today does take a long long time. I'm glad you've joined us in this hobby and it is sure to bring you many hours of enjoyment. Explore all the forums, ask questions, and weed out the various resources on the net, and little by little you'll find flying heavy jets is a vast and interesting subject. Every little bit you read helps, as after all, they will all be inter-related in some way or the other.Feel free to ask questions anytime, and welcome once again to the amazing world of RC :()Subs